VectorLinux
November 01, 2014, 03:23:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: VL 5.9 Light RC1 released.  (Read 45878 times)
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 07:12:27 am »

1. I would like to know how does one add a menu catagory-- I can add items manually just fine.. but so far haven't been able to figure out how to add a new catagory.
The menu is generated the same way the XFCE menu is generated.... xdg or something like that... I'm really not sure how to do it either, but if you can find an xfce guide somewhere, try that... it may work

2.  Is there a way to configure the clock to show the seconds also?  if So how.
Yes there is. If you are running lxpanel-0.3.5.6 (like me), you can right-click on the clock and point to "Digital Clock Settings".
If you are running al older version, you'll need to access the panel settings window... point to the "Add panel applets" thing. Click on Diginal clock, and then hit the edit button.
Both procedures will take you to a little window that has the clock format definition... in this box, enter this
Code:
%l:%M:%S %p
That will display the clock like "10:00:05 PM"

I really like this desktop too... I haven't used anything else since I discovered it Wink

kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 11:25:24 am »

2.  Is there a way to configure the clock to show the seconds also?  if So how.
Yes there is. If you are running lxpanel-0.3.5.6 (like me), you can right-click on the clock and point to "Digital Clock Settings".
If you are running al older version, you'll need to access the panel settings window... point to the "Add panel applets" thing. Click on Diginal clock, and then hit the edit button.
Both procedures will take you to a little window that has the clock format definition... in this box, enter this
Code:
%l:%M:%S %p
That will display the clock like "10:00:05 PM"

I really like this desktop too... I haven't used anything else since I discovered it Wink

Hi Again.  Seems RC-1 comes with lxpanel-0.2.9.0-i586-1vl59  Downloaded lxpanel 0.3.5.6 from Sourceforge .. but get a make error when trying to build the package.. is there a package for 0.3.5.6 I couldn't find one in the repositories.

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 12:22:29 pm »

@k1cdi
To upgrade your packages, you will need to follow this procedure

• remove all your lxde packages completely
Code:
ls -al /var/log/packages | grep lx
remove every one related to lxde
lxde-common, lxsession, lxnm, etc

• Remove the current configuration dirs
Code:
rm -r ~/.config/lx*
also as root
Code:
rm -r /usr/share/lx*
  • Build the new packages using crux ports4slack. I have updated ports for these
You can use vpackager -> build from crux -> right-click the VL repo, select "Update" then search for "lx"
You should see the list of packages under the VL tree
[/list]

It is important that you remove all references to the old packages, this is because the syntax of the config files has changed...
Enjoy Wink

kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 02:08:29 pm »

Thank you Moe  I will do it Tomorrow,  Won't have time tonight..

Dave

Dave
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 02:15:35 pm »

remember to delete the --enable-hal line in lxsession-lite. also notice that lxsession has been replaced with lxsession-lite

kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2008, 10:48:44 am »

remember to delete the --enable-hal line in lxsession-lite. also notice that lxsession has been replaced with lxsession-lite

Thanks all seems to be working great Got the clock set the way I want it now .

Dave
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2008, 12:45:13 pm »

Wow! I just installed this on my OLD '98 laptop. VL standard and SOHO are too heavy for this 333mhz with 128mb ram. VL Light revived it. Great job; it is looking great and is running smooth.

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2008, 01:17:14 pm »

I am using VL5.9 STD. Works pretty good with JWM, but I have to always worry about disk space, b/c have mall HDD.

If it helps I still run beta5 on a 4gig and have 1.5 free after adding several programs..ardour,chess, and just now mahjongg plus a folder of test media...there have been reports of spontanious disappearance of the lxde panel but it is retrieveable and has not been a serious issue for me although it happened a couple of times..this may be improved in the rc1 I have not had time to download yet. lxde is nicer than jwm and I think lighter than xfce with similar options...not sure what you added to std but if not much it is worth a look.. both were an easy install for me
cheers
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 01:19:31 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2008, 03:10:11 pm »

I do have a problem with the LXDE panel. How do I get it back? When I logged in, there was no panel.

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2008, 05:07:26 pm »

I just logged out and then log back in..oddly it was just there and has remained so far although I often wonder if it will not be there at some point and prove it did happen..I was unable to recreate the event

Everything Is Relative
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2008, 05:13:22 pm »

I do have a problem with the LXDE panel. How do I get it back? When I logged in, there was no panel.

Can you start the lxpanel from a terminal and post the output?
Maybe this could be a sound related problem or a network issue.

The panel will by default try to load these plugins, but if an error occurs while doing so, the entire panel will go kaput!.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2008, 04:50:58 am »

Also have a question, does LXDE lighter than XFCE? Is there a lot of bugs in it?

LXDE is the lighter of the two. It is still in early development and I think it has more bugs than XFCE.
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2008, 01:30:02 pm »

Thanks. I am now thinking about installing VL 5.9 Lite instead of Standard, but don't have much time now... Maybe a littlebit later.

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
Vanger
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2008, 02:19:53 pm »

Worked under initrd translation in VM, only now got time to install it.

Well, it's even more cool, than it's been Wink)) .

Oops, killed it in 20 minutes. Reported to bugthread.

But it boots at awesome speed, really!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 02:46:15 pm by Vanger » Logged

Running silent, running deep
VgnFrnd

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2008, 06:50:14 am »

I've successfully installed VL-Lite 5.9 RC1 on another of my ancient, finicky thinkpads.  Grin  It's an 1452 with a PII Celeron Mendocino, 262 MB RAM, 20GB HD, and 2.5 MB NeoMagic Graphics. I had to pass acpi=noirq on installation and as a boot line in Lilo to overcome interrupt errors associated with the irq channel assigned to the optical drive by the bios, but aside from that, everything is running excellently. In the past, I've had Zenwalk and PCLOSBE X Home installed on the 1452, but thus far VL-Lite is knocking the socks off of them for speed and stability.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: