New to Linux, but used to be a unix admin 10 yrs ago. Have an old Sony PCG-FX370K 1Ghz, 256Ram,20Gig. Out of 10 distros this is the most complete loading. Only 3 finished install. Initially wireless would not work. I would set it up, but iwconfig reported it as unencrypted. (I could not disable encryption due to other netw needs). wpa_supplicant looked great, but for some reason that was as far as it got. By the way I have a PCMCIA Belkin 54g wireless card.
During install I selected noframes for faster speed.
I also had the following issues.
1. On first boot I saw a lot of failed symbolic links. While moving the mouse after login, the system hung and I ended up powering it off.
2. Second boot I left the room for 30 minutes, came back the system was powered off.
3. On third boot is hung when I tried to log in.
4. I had the same missing vasmcc as others.
5. I must have misread and fat fingered something, in its place I saw root. My dos partition was missing. Looking at the boot I saw where it was mounted and then root was mounted with the same mount point. When I deleted the mount point and rebooted I got a bad superblock error. fsck did not work using suggested syntax.
Now realize that many of these *errors* may be my own. I am stretching my memory and trying to use old solaris and old HPUX knowledge and so much has changed besides. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Anyway rather than try and get around the bad superblock, I just reinstalled. Guess what, wireless came up without a hitch. This is the first distro to properly connect wireless as part of the install.
I selected frames with High graphics splash this time around.
VASMCC works too.
The only issue I had was after load when I told it to reboot I got this message:
sh: convert.sh: no such file or directory. - but when I hit return it continued to reboot and I seem to work fine.
Did I mention how wonderfully fast this is. Wow! Now I get to play and learn it, lol.
Let's see, find some more games for the wife, and I need to get wine working with an app or two from win.