Please support VectorLinux!

Author Topic: Linmodem woes  (Read 4704 times)

Jimbo

Linmodem woes
« on: May 23, 2008, 01:14:56 am »
After a long absence from VL I just downloaded VL5.9-Light-B5 and installed it on my old Toshiba.  Very impressed. 
One problem though. 
Laptop modem is an agere winmodem.  Puppy has no problem with it, but VL needs the drivers.  I downloaded martian-full-20080407.tar.gz and tried to install it, but make all gives me an error message to the effect "Entering an unknown directory".  Looking at other posts on this problem it seems I may need to download and install some packages first.  But I can't use gslapt without a modem. . .
Is there a way of installing programs that I download on my other laptop?  If so, how?  Where do I find the packages to use with 5.9?  Has anyone else had success in setting up winmodems in 5.9 light?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

kc1di

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16
Re: Linmodem woes
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 01:56:10 am »
Hi Jimbo,

There should be not problem downloading onto another machine and burning them to a disk or flash stick.  Then simply copy them to the Toshiba and install as root in a terminal you can use the command
installpkg  <package Name>.

I'll look at the Package you mentioned and see if I can build it on a 5.9 light box. may take a couple of days as I'm very busy with work right now. 

Welcome to Vector hope your stay is a long one.

Cheers!
Dave
Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 05:32:31 am »
I never looked at that driver, but I bet you need the kernel sources to compile it.
The pkg is a 30mb download and can be found in http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/kernels
You are looking for something like kernel-2.6.xx.xx-src-i586-1vl59.tlz
Be sure you match the version number with the kernel you are using, you can find out your kernel version with the uname -r command at the terminal.

HTH
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

Jimbo

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 10:18:08 pm »
Thanks to you both.  Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you.  My life keeps getting in the way of my computing :'(  I'll try the things you have mentioned in the next few days, then post again to let you know how it goes. 
In Puppy the modem comes up as ttyLTO - does that mean anything useful?
I'm sorry, but it will take a few days for me to get the time to reply, although I will check this post as often as I can.

kc1di

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 02:18:30 am »
Thanks to you both.  Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you.  My life keeps getting in the way of my computing :'(  I'll try the things you have mentioned in the next few days, then post again to let you know how it goes. 
In Puppy the modem comes up as ttyLTO - does that mean anything useful?
I'm sorry, but it will take a few days for me to get the time to reply, although I will check this post as often as I can.

ttylto  simplly mean it's a winmodem on  tty port 1.
Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608