VectorLinux
August 27, 2014, 05:02:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux Newbie  (Read 1354 times)
mookav

« on: May 23, 2008, 06:23:25 am »

Hello Friends,

I am new to Linux. About a month ago I decided to venture into the Linux world. I came across information on the web about how old computers can be given a new life with Linux etc etc. I had an old Pentium 3 Compaq Presario gathering dust in the basement. So I started trying out various distributions on this machine. Finally came around to trying Vector and I think I will stick around for a while here.

Everything in my old pc worked right out of the box with Vector. You tube videos, couple of music sites - Indian music, internet connection was available right away, sound card was recognized, the movie player worked with my DVD and music discs. Overall the everything reacts much faster than with other distributions.

I also liked the way the installer took me through the steps - though the experience was like working with old DOS interface. Other distros had problems in formatting my disk, but Vector did the job without any complaints.

I also liked the System Profiler and the report generator feature. I have added some details of my machine gathered through this feature below.

Now there is one issue that is common to all distros. There are a couple of music sites that use regularly. These sites use custom embedded players that depend on Realplayer or WIndows Media player being there. One such site is MusicIndiaOnline. I cannot use this site on Linux. Must me something wrong with them.

Also my boot time could be improved from the 120 secs or more that it takes now to get to a usable state. My machine details are as follows.

Summary
Computer
Processor   Pentium III (Katmai)
Memory   381MB (134MB used)
Operating System   5.9 Standard GOLD built on Dec-16-07
User Name   
Date/Time   Fri 23 May 2008 02:17:46 PM EDT
Display
Resolution   1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer   Mesa DRI Savage4 20061110 AGP 1x x86/MMX/SSE
X11 Vendor   The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio Adapter   ES1938 - ESS ES1938 (Solo-1)
Input Devices
Power Button (FF)   
Power Button (CM)   
Macintosh mouse button emulation   
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard   
HID 1241:1177   
Printers
No printers found   
IDE Disks
QUANTUM FIREBALL CR13.0A   
COMPAQ DVD-ROM GD-5000   
Hewlett-Packard CD-Writer Plus 9300   
SCSI Disks
Operating System
Version
Kernel   Linux 2.6.22.14 (i686)
Compiled   #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Nov 25 19:27:11 MST 2007
C Library   GNU C Library version 2.5 (stable)
Distribution   5.9 Standard GOLD built on Dec-16-07
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 06:57:11 pm »

mookav:  Welcome to VectorLinux from another user (not a moderator or admin or anything like that).  Based on my own experience, VL should run really well on your machine.  It sounds like things are going well for you so far.  Somehow the VectorLinux team have made a distribution that runs really well and very fast even on older hardware, but without sacrificing modern features (personally I think it's magic).  I've been using VL for a while now and I'm very happy with it ... I have no desire to use anything else.  It's too bad about MusicIndiaOnline ... I've found a few video and audio sites that I just can't use.  Most should work though.

Good luck with everything!

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 02:06:47 am »

Welcome to Vector - hope your stay is long and pleasant  Smiley

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
ultrasonicsite
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 03:32:10 pm »

Hey wasn't there a realplayer port to linux a long time ago? Smiley
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 05:55:26 pm »

Welcome...

Yes vector works great, especially on older hardware. I'm amazed that my p3 650mhz machine is running rings around a 1.5ghz windows xp machine for most common everyday computing tasks. You may also find you simply enoy using your computer more with vectorlinux... I know I do.

I'm new to vector myself but quickly becoming a big supporter of this distro. I've told everyone I know into linux about how great I think this distro is, especially for aging hardware, it really brings new life to old pcs.

Keep playing with it, and I'm sure you'll agree.

Steven
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: