Author Topic: choppy youtube and other video sites  (Read 3756 times)

tmoney_wizfan

choppy youtube and other video sites
« on: May 23, 2008, 03:55:04 pm »
Hi everyone,

I've been playing around with vector and whenever I go to youtube or other video sites, the video and sound is always choppy.  I get like 10 seconds of sound and audio then a pause and then more audio and it seems like the video is playing catch-up with the sound.  Even after the whole video loads on youtube, I have the same problem.  I am coming from a compaq presario 5000 with Windows ME and I never had any problems with youtube then.  Can this be a driver issue? ??? 

Also, this is just a side question, but is there a way to get the xkill program to show up as a shortcut on my menu bar?

Any and all help is appreciated.   

exeterdad

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: choppy youtube and other video sites
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 04:31:54 pm »
Not knowing which version of VL you are using will make it trickier to tell you how to add menu entries.  If you are using Xfce you can press cntrl+alt+esc and you will see your mousepointer turn into a skull and crossbones.  If you've never used xkill be careful.  ANYTHING you click will be a goner.  Including your desktop.  To disable again you just press the same buttons.

Most likely your problem with youtube and other video is flash.  I'd guess you have a slower machine.  Flash 9 for Linux is garbage.  We can't do a thing about it.  It's a huge resource hog.  You can run both windows and linux on the same machine and feel how sluggish the Linux version is.  Sorry :(

If you have a faster machine, you won't have problems.  But if you are running a machine with WinME...  I can assume it's a older one.

hata_ph

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • -- Just being myself --
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 04:56:48 pm »
Not knowing which version of VL you are using will make it trickier to tell you how to add menu entries.  If you are using Xfce you can press cntrl+alt+esc and you will see your mousepointer turn into a skull and crossbones.  If you've never used xkill be careful.  ANYTHING you click will be a goner.  Including your desktop.  To disable again you just press the same buttons.

I always use htop to kill any hanging process/program....it work nicer then xkill as you will not accidentally kill any program...

Most likely your problem with youtube and other video is flash.  I'd guess you have a slower machine.  Flash 9 for Linux is garbage.  We can't do a thing about it.  It's a huge resource hog.  You can run both windows and linux on the same machine and feel how sluggish the Linux version is.  Sorry :(

If you have a faster machine, you won't have problems.  But if you are running a machine with WinME...  I can assume it's a older one.

I do agree with that. I have a old laptop and it work fine for normal work. But when it come to web surfing and movies, it is not as good as using windows.....  :'(

tmoney_wizfan

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 05:16:54 pm »
Hmmm, I see about the flash.  Probably a dumb question, but does vector 5.8 come with flash 9?  I'm probably wasting time on multimedia as I would prefer this be a "work-only" machine, but you never know. 

I was thinking about dual-booting with vector and windows me, but all I have is the recovery cd for that and since I did a wipe-out while installing vector, I'm suspicious that the recovery cd alone wouldn't be able to give me a full version of windows.  On such an old machine (compaq presario 5000 circa 2001, 800 mhz celeron, 128 ram) do you think it would be worthy of dual-booting windows me? 

Other q's: 

If you do click the desktop with xkill, does that essentially terminate x-win? 

Also, does htop come installed? 

Sorry for the newbish questions, but you guys have been great.  Thanks.   :D

hata_ph

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • -- Just being myself --
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 05:22:17 pm »
what is x-win?

htop default come with VL58/59. try look at the system start menu. actually xkill work just fine but some with you may accidentally kill other working process/program if you click/kill the wrong thing.......

tomh38

• Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 07:32:42 pm »
tmoney_wizfan:  If by x-win the X server (a.k.a. X Windows a.k.a. the X Window System a.k.a. X11, etc.), then I'm not exactly sure what would happen if you just did xkill on your desktop.  I'm pretty sure I don't want to try it.  Xkill is a utility program intended to stop a graphical program, basically.  Really it's more complicated than that but that's more or less what it does.  I only find it useful occasionally ...  hata_ph has already said that it's better to use htop to kill a process.  If you have a frozen desktop (I've only encountered this on Vector twice) Ctrl-Alt-Backspace will kill the X Server, then giving you the opportunity to log back into X the way you logged in, either from a terminal or kdm or whatever.

For Flash on youtube or other video sites, you might want to see what happens if you close all the applications that you can and then in your browser (whether it's Firefox or something else) try youtube with only one tab open.  That could help with the choppiness on a machine with pretty limited resources.  You also might want to try it in a less resource intensive GUI, such as Fluxbox or JWM, as opposed to Xfce or KDE (if you even have KDE installed).

Also ... for Windows have you thought of giving Windows 98 Second Edition a try in place of Windows ME.  I thought WinME was pretty horrible, and out of the Windows 95/98/ME series (now completely discontinued by Microsoft) I thought Windows 98 SE was the most stable and usable.

Tom
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 07:37:28 pm by tomh38 »
"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 06:30:10 am »
My computer is fast enough that it works fine, but others have reverted to Flash 7 in order to solve this problem:

http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5611.0

blurymind

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 09:55:33 am »
there is a way to set firefox so it opens youtube videos with mplayer. I believe with the greasemonkey extension and a userscript.

That might help
status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/

tmoney_wizfan

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 10:50:16 am »
thanks nightflier, I can really see a big improvement by using flash 7.

blurrymind, how might I go about making youtube open videos with mplayer?  Just curious. 

blurymind

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 11:06:14 am »
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 11:08:34 am by blurymind »
status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/

budulay

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • NewComer
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 10:27:23 am »
This one works fine -  http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/25481 much better than flash.
but this one - http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/11764 doesn't seem to work at all for me...

and I have one question:
is there a way to decrease video size and/or quality to increase performance?
Thanks in advance.
VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!

exeterdad

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 11:12:28 am »
Those flash alternatives are pretty cool :) Does anyone know if the clickable buttons in the movies work also?