VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 01:04:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Whoa so far so awesome!  (Read 2287 times)
ultrasonicsite
Packager
Vectorite

« on: May 24, 2008, 03:24:23 pm »

Just installed it. And it seems very fast so far! Running on an HP Windows Millennium bought machine, so it's kind of old, but so far it seems perfect! Now I just have to figure out how to get the boot loader to include this and Xubuntu on the list.
ultrasonicsite
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 03:36:32 pm »

Whoa! So far I'm surprised! I might just decide to just remove Xubuntu and make this my main distribution. I can use wine and things like that right? Is there a "apt-get" 'thing' on this, a repository thing? I'm only used to the Ubuntu (Debian?) structure. And if there's a quick and easy way to just remove the other partitions and make this use the whole hardrive don't be afraid to hint at my choices Grin
ultrasonicsite
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 03:39:41 pm »

How do I change the time Cheesy
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 03:48:54 pm »

I'm glad you like it ultrasonciste Wink

To answer your questions, you can do anything ubuntu can do here. And probably a lot faster too Wink

The apt-get thing you are used to is called Gslapt here.
Find it in your menu, or open a terminal and type "su" to become root, and then execute "gslapt"

That's our package management system

To change the time, you will have to tell us which version you installed, which window manager you are using, but genrally speaking, if you are referring to the system time, you can run vasm or vasmCC, point to "Hardware" and there is an option there to change the time.

Hope this helps, and welcome to VL

ultrasonicsite
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 04:06:26 pm »

This will definitely improve my programming learning experience. I'm learning programming, some people have suggested that I learn Python first, and that's what I'm doing. Thanks a lot for the help! Time to check out all of the other features! Shocked
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 05:07:22 pm »

Welcome to Vector Think you will find you like it more each day.
Enjoy,
dave  Smiley

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 05:20:59 pm »

This will definitely improve my programming learning experience. I'm learning programming, some people have suggested that I learn Python first, and that's what I'm doing. Thanks a lot for the help! Time to check out all of the other features! Shocked

Nice, I'm looking for volunteers for Gambas programming.

Let me know if you want in Wink

haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 05:51:35 pm »

Welcome...
If you play with vector enough, you'll probably dump other distros fast... I did.

Yes you can use vector with wine, though I haven't done it yet.

Steven
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 06:45:09 pm »

The quick way to set the time in XFce is to go to the launchers on the XFce panel (aka taskbar), click on the arrow to the right of the one for VASMCC, and select vdateset. It'll ask you for the root password and will start with the date, which should be today's date, then it'll let you set the time. Or you can open a terminal in XFce, su to root, and type vdateset at the prompt.

Wine works fine in VectorLinux. There are packages in the repository. The latest one will be in /testing. Open Gslapt, update the packages, and type wine in the search box.

I'm another one who settled on VectorLinux years ago and have been very happy ever since. I'm not particularly interested in other distros because VL works so well and I like the fact that it's "real" Linux, not all doctored up the way Ubuntu and others are. I occasionally run a LiveCD of other distros just so I can see what's going on, but I've never had a desire to switch or even install one on my hard drive.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: