Author Topic: Vector linux deluxe 5.9 with xfce desktop icons questions. [SOLVED]  (Read 3244 times)

haywire

• Vectorian
I posted alot of questions in a previous thread, and a member here suggested I post them seperately.

I solved the hard drive mounting problems, found the custom icon folders, and learned how to edit my own icon files...BUT I still have many questions relating to desktop icons.

1) How can I add a custom icon for the floppy drive with a floppy icon? I know I can use "Send to desktop"
to create a folder icon on the desktop. This works BUT I'd like to have a custom icon like the many nice floppy icons that come with vector for when you use "create launcher" I guess I'm looking for the commands to enter into the dialog boxes for "create launcher" to tell it to browse the floppy.

2) Same as above, but how do I add a custom icon with "create launcher" for the dvdrom drive?

3) Same as above, but how do I add a custom icon with "create launcher" for the second hard drive
(Hdb1 on my system) I'd really prefer the nice icons that come with vector to the generic folder icon
for each of these things. Its a small thing, but I'd really like to have custom icons.

4) How can I add a custom folder icon for different things with "create launcher" for example, a folder icon
for audio applications, when clicked would show icons for audio applications, or a systems utils folder, when clicked that would show icons for launching system utils... and so on. This is a much better way of organizing the desktop than the way it comes stock.

All in all I'm so happy with vector, but a little more customization of my desktop would make me much happier. I know these things must be possible since vector is so customizable, but I can't find anything
to help accomplish these "simple things?" in the many faq's and other help files I've been reading.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated...

Steven
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 02:43:36 am by haywire »

overthere

• Vectorian
Re: Vector linux deluxe 5.9 with xfce desktop icons questions.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 04:13:45 am »
Hi
have a look at post 13 here

http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=6009.0

I use (mount /dev/fd0 & thunar /mnt) in fluxbox you can also use mount /dev/cdrom...I have only one so it works for cd/dvd..try in the EXEC= line for the icon...umount for unmounts with another icon or in a terminal

this will open the file manager to /mount and you can open the floppy dir..I found that if you open to floppy it is to quick..and I have to back out and click again anyway..one may be able to create a script to wait a few seconds but I was happy with that

hope that helps a little
cheers
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 04:21:44 am by overthere »
Everything Is Relative

haywire

• Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 12:42:14 am »
Heya Otherthere...

I wasn't quite sure what you meant but then I realized what you were doing with those commands. First I created some icons just to mount the floppy, another to mount the cd-rom... That worked great...

Next I created a second set of icons with thunar/mnt/cdrom to browse the cd-rom and
thunar/mnt/floppy to browse the floppy... It works.

For some reason it doesn't work when I use mount /dev/cdrom & thunar /mnt/cdrom
together... So I had to have one icon for mounting, and one icon for browsing.
I tried clicking run in terminal and unclicking... Just dosn't work together for some reason.

Seperately though, it works, and THANKS overthere, I have the nice gnome floppy icons.
I think I'll just remove the mount icons though, I can do that when I boot the pc in a terminal.

This thunar command works for the second hard drive too!

Looks great overthere, THANKS!

And with your help, I just figured out how to add the drawer icons I think as well!

YAY! Wow my desktop is going to look sweet. THANKS AGAIN Overthere.
You just made my night. I'm so happy I can have the nice looking custom icons!
With that little thing, I can really customize my desktop alot more with folders/icons/drawers, the works!

Oh boy now I gotta crack this baby open again and add more hard drives!
But oh no! I only have one ide slot left since I have a dvd burner and 2 hard drives...

Does anyone use vector linux with a pci ide card to add an extra 4 ide devices?
I have a couple around I want to try, but will that require re-installing vector,
or can I just pop the card in and reboot?

I have a promise ultra100tx2 for adding an addition 4 ide devices, its a pci card.
As I recall, it worked with red-hat and suse linux... I hope it works with vector!

Also, what about external ide drives connected through USB does vector support that?
This pc is so old it only has two usb ports but its worth a try I suppose.

Thanks overthere, now I'm off to play with adding folders/icons/drawers and more hard drives to access. YAY

Steven

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 08:44:17 pm »
Also, what about external ide drives connected through USB does vector support that?
This pc is so old it only has two usb ports but its worth a try I suppose.

I have several external hard drives that connect by USB and Firewire. Vector works fine with them. When I turn them on, an icon appears on the desktop.

If your PC is really old, your USB ports are probably USB 1.1 and transfers through your USB ports will be agonizingly slow. I suggest getting a PCI card to supply USB 2 ports.
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

haywire

• Vectorian
Granny, since I only have two usb ports anyhow... Your right thats a good idea. Any suggestions for finding one that works easily with vectorlinux?

Like, do you know of one I can order somewhere that your sure will work?

I'm all for saving myself headaches and hassles. If someone is using one that they already know works... I'd rather use THAT!

Steven

P.S. I installed 4 additional hard drives using my pci IDE controller. IT WORKS!

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
I have a USB 2 card in my older desktop, but I don't remember what brand it is and what chipset it uses. When I turn on that computer again, I'll take a look and let you know. It's a USB2/Firewire combo card.

I had a different PCI USB2/Firewire combo card in another computer and it worked fine with Linux, too. I don't remember the brand.

I couldn't find a clearcut list of PCI cards known to work well with Linux. What I suggest you do is go to newegg.com and search for PCI USB2 expansion cards. See if any of the specs mention Linux support. If not, do a search with your browser on the user comments and see if anyone mentions Linux. Many newegg customers are technically skilled and likely to have some Linux experience, so I wouldn't be surprised if you find something.

The cards I have were bought years ago, so they probably aren't available now. However, I'd expect the same chipsets to work. I do know that one used an NEC USB2 chip and the other one used a VIA chip.
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller