VectorLinux
August 21, 2014, 01:37:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Vector based on Slackware?  (Read 1205 times)
ultrasonicsite
Packager
Vectorite

« on: May 25, 2008, 04:52:08 pm »

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

They have a slackware version that might be useful to add to the repository!
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 04:59:54 pm »

We have a VLC package in the testing repo. vlc-0.8.6d-i586-2vl59.tlz  Current is 0.8.6f.  We're pretty current Smiley
ultrasonicsite
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 05:02:12 pm »

Guess I should enable me some testing repositories >=P
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 05:04:59 pm »

I believe there is a VLC in our testing repository......
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 05:09:49 pm »

You'll find the most recent, and probably the largest selection of packages in our testing repo. Unfortunately not enough people pipe up and let us know if they work good or not.  So they just sit.  And in some cases, they get outdated. You'll get mixed opinions from users whether enabling testing is safe.  Just keep in mind the packages need YOU (and others) to test Smiley

Honestly I've seen very few packages that blatantly mess things up.  Most often the worst you'll find is deps don't work themselves out properly, or a menu entry doesn't work.
ultrasonicsite
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 05:13:10 pm »

VLC Media Player Testing Version works but does not add a menu to the multimedia tab.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 08:58:05 pm »

I am one who believes /testing should be enabled routinely. Some caution is needed, however.

Note that in Gslapt the COMMON tab indicates the source of the file. I think everyone should check what the source is whenever they select a package to install. If it says /testing, remember that it's a package that hasn't yet been generally released. If you're willing to test, download it. If you're not, skip it. But do note the repo source of packages you select.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: