Author Topic: Install from iso copy on hdd - help request  (Read 4802 times)

meinhardt_jgbr

Install from iso copy on hdd - help request
« on: May 07, 2008, 10:26:40 am »
I'm trying to install either VL5.8 or VL5.9 Std on dual boot with Win98SE on an old Sharp Actius A280 Notebook (PII-366).

Since it only gets 64Mb of RAM I obviously need some distro that is not heavy on resources, so based on all readings available, it looks to me that Vectorlinux is the one, with the advantage of using recent versions of the kernel therefore with better native support to hardware.

I have already setup this Notebook (NoBo) on dual boot, with Win98SE and linux Mandrake 9.0 once that also accepts and performs reasonably with 64Mb of Ram. It is running OK, with Mandrake set on 3 partitions (/ ; /home and a 512Mb linux swap).

The main problem with this NoBo is that the CD player is external, connected via a PCMCIA card, therefore it is just impossible to boot direct from the CD-Rom, so I must install from a copy previously made to the hdd.

My choice was installing from an iso copy placed on the root of the Win98 D:\

I've followed all the install instructions but got stacked during the file system recognition process.

The message that appears is the following:

"kernel panic - not syncing: vfs : unable to mount root fs on unknown - block (0,0)"

Just about a couple of lines above, it shows also more detailed information to allow diag of the problem, but I could not figure out the mistake.

"VFS: canot open root device "hda/ram" or unknown -block (0,0)
please append a correct "root" boot option: here are the available partitions:
0300      8003205     hda   
0301        891576     hda1     (this is a FAT partition where is installed the Win98)
0302                  1     hda2
0303      4184901     hda5     (this is the current Mandrake (/) root partition - ext-3 fs)
0306        771088     hda6     (this is current Win98 drive D: - FAT partition, where I have the VL5.9 iso copied)
0307        674698     hda7     linux swap
0308      1477948     hda8     (this is current Mandrake /home partition - formated also on ext-3)

Also following the install from windows pre-installed system iso instructions, I've used the following loadlin command:

loadlin sata initrd=initrd.img root=/dev/hda6/ram rw

I've made several tentative's changing the device information, replacing the hda6 where the VL5.9-Std-Gold.iso is copied, by hda, hda5 - where I want VL to be installed over the previous Mandrake or even by hda8, the current Mandrake /home partition, gettng always the same kernel panic message.

Need help to define what is the corect "root" parameter to be used on loadlin command to succesfully install VL5.9std.

Thanks

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Install from iso copy on hdd - help request
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 11:04:55 am »
If you can boot to Mandrake you should be able to install from there.

The instructions are on the VL CD in the /install directory. In brief, it involves copying one of the scripts from (ISO)/install/vinstall to your hard drive, then put the ISO itself in the same location, and executing the script. If you want to install to the old /home dir it must be unmounted first.

meinhardt_jgbr

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 12:26:49 pm »
Thanks for your quick reply.

I've read the topic on the manual before deciding to do it from within the working Win98 system.
My doubt was if I would be able to install it over the current working Mandrake 9.0 installation or it would allow me only to install over some other newly created partition.
The other concern was regarding having to run the install without running X-Window and how to do it from Mandrake.

The remark from VL manual Linux HOST install is the following:

"Quote"
Make sure the host is not running X-Window and services

"unquote"

Thanks

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 01:08:34 pm »
You will only be able to install to an unmounted partition. Are you planning to boot to Mandrake using loadlin from W98?  When in Mandrake, that root partition will be excluded, but you should be able to use the separate /home partition.

When in Mandrake, as root, in a terminal, enter commands:
cd /
umount /home
init 2     (or maybe "call init 2")

This should drop you to command line. Log in again as root and proceed with the installation.

meinhardt_jgbr

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 01:43:53 pm »
I want VL to totally replace the current Mandrake 9.0 distro, because its kernel is too old and does not support CD-Rom player connected via PCMCIA card which is indeed a big annoyance. I dont care even to keep any of the Mandrake configuration files located at the current Mandrake /home partition.

Regarding the booting option, right now with Mandrake I'm using Grub and would still prefer it over Lilo, but if within VL only Lilo is available, there is no problem. I'm using loadlin only for the purpose of installing VL.

I have great expectations on being able to install VL 5.9 or 5.8 Std.

Once I have VL airborne, I plan to get rid even of the whole Win98. I did not have it done yet, just because it is instrumental to transfer the iso files from CD, first to the Win D:\ drive and after from within Mandrake from there to either its root partition or to /home for VL install purposes.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 02:30:34 pm »
I would suggest using hda8 for Vector. Move any files you want to keep out of there, boot to Mandrake and install from there. You don't have to install LILO, editing your current GRUB configuration will allow it to boot Vector.

When you're happy with the setup, you can make hda5 your new /home. This way you leave yourself with as many options as possible.

meinhardt_jgbr

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 10:15:05 pm »
I've tried to use the hda8, where Mandrake 9.0 /home was located, but Mandrake would not allow me to unmount it, therefore I could not do it using that configuration.

I went even further, by re-partitioning hda creating a new empty partition for VL, reclaiming space from the Mandrake root partition.
Hdd structure is now as following:

hda1 - fat32 -            870Mb   (win98 - c: drive - or /mnt/win_c as seen by linux)
hda5 - reiserfs -       1,404Mb   ( /  - Mandrake 9.0 root partition)
hda6 - linux native -  2,682Mb  (this is the new empty and unmounted partition for VL root)
hda7 - reiserfs -       1,443Mb  ( /home - Mandrake 9.0)
hda8 - fat32 -            771Mb  ( win98 - d: drive - or /mnt/win_d as seen by linux)
hda9 - linuxswap -       658Mb

Needed to re-install Mandrake after repartitioning using partition magic from within Win98, so that is the reason for this changes on partitioning structure.

Trying to install using method Direct ISO from Linux Host, logged as root after switching to run level 2, it starts the process but stops after msg saying it cannot mount /sys filesystem.

On another msg after tweaking at the console, was saying that detection could not find /sys directory located at :/etc/fstab.

After re-booting Mandrake I've checked and indeed the /sys directory was not listed on fstab file.

Trying again, now using Direct ISO on a Windows Host, it stopped again at the same point reported on my first msg,

"please append a correct "root" boot option: or unknown-block (0,0)"

I tried installation using the following command, exactly as shown on the manual pages:

"loadlin sata root=/dev/ram rw initrd=initrd.img"

After seeing the above error msg, I've tried to nail down the empty, unmounted and unformatted partition prepared for VL, as following:

"loadlin sata root=/dev/hda6/ram rw initrd=initrd.img"

error msg was the same telling to pick the correct root partition.

Third try was made using hda8, the d: drive from Win98, where the ISO is copied at the root level, as following:

"loadlin sata root=/dev/hda8/ram rw initrd=initrd.img"

Same error msg was shown.

I was wondering if the root partition hda8 would need to be pre-formated on one of the fs systems like ext2, ext3, reiserfs or other perhaps could help, although it does not make since to me, since usually, during the installation process there is always the step where you are given the option to select the fs format, etc.

I'm back to square 1.

Please advise what is exactly the purpose of the "root=/dev/ram rw

The root is supposed to be the partition where the ISO copy is located or is it the partition where the VL will be installed?

« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 04:50:22 pm by meinhardt_jgbr »

meinhardt_jgbr

Re: Install from iso copy on hdd - help request - SOLVED
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 09:09:38 pm »
I'm running now VL-5.1-std, which I finally managed to install from VL iso copy located at old Mandrake 8.2 installed previously.
It is obviously running faster than Mandrake 8.2.
I wonder if would be feasible to upgrade to VL-5.8 std

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 05:35:56 am »
Congratulations on figuring it out  :)  Could you tell us what made the difference?

If you want to upgrade, I would say go for 5.9. There is no upgrade mechanism from within the OS itself, though. A new install would be required.

meinhardt_jgbr

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 03:15:35 pm »
After the first successful install of VL-5.1, I decided to get rid of everything else to get more room, since the Sharp Actius A280 has a 7Gb hdd.
Once I can not use the CD-Rom for booting other than just for W98 and during install of VL-5.1 for the first time I probably made a couple of mistakes and CD-Rom was still not visible I decided to do it all over again.

The basic mistake that was preventing me from installing VL from iso starting from a running linux was that I copied the iso on the /vinstall, instead of just copying the whole /install/vinstall and than the iso on the /vinstall.

It was really a lot of work, since I needed to re-build the system from scratch, installing W98, than re-partitioning it with Partition Magic-8, shrinking W98 to about 700Mb, than installing Mandrake 8.2, to be able to get VL-5.1 installed from there.

Before installing VL-5.1 again, I've tried the same with both VL-5.8 and 5.9 std without success. That was the reason for the question.

I may try again when I get more used with VL-5.1 and perhaps make the PCMCIA connected CD-player and pendrive work perfectly.

Just making eth0 to work was quite labor intensive, since I was more used to other distros.

By the way, is there any VL-5.1 repository still active so I can update some of the installed packages or is it just limited to the newer versions?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 03:32:30 pm by meinhardt_jgbr »