VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: WINE and vectorlinux 5.9 deluxe.  (Read 2299 times)

haywire

• Vectorian
WINE and vectorlinux 5.9 deluxe.
« on: May 26, 2008, 01:18:49 pm »

I haven't tried anything with wine yet and have some stupid questions.

Is it installed by default to linux deluxe 5.9 or do I have to install it?

Does it emulate direct x so audio apps/games using direct x can run?

How do I use try it if it is already installed, and where can I find more info on using it and installing windows apps to my vectorlinux pc?

Steven

Dweeberkitty

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • Multimedia Bonus Disc
Re: WINE and vectorlinux 5.9 deluxe.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 01:25:15 pm »

Hello haywire,

I have found that using wine is a hit and miss kind of a deal. Yes it does run audio apps and games and works with directx. I have actually had great success with Morrowind and Call of Duty. Also I use Macromedia Studio 8 for web design under wine (actually runs faster than with Windows).

I am not sure whether deluxe has wine installed but I know you can install it using the testing repository with Gslapt. I hope you can what you want to run working. A lot of programs work and a lot don't work. I wouldn't get my hopes up on whatever you wish to run, but if it works, all the better to you!
Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/

overthere

• Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 03:36:09 pm »

Hi
If wine is installed you likely have a .wine folder in the hidden files of your home directory.

I have wine installed to 5.9-std from the repository but seem to have little need for it

I have run several applications for windows which are self contained and were on a thumb..I also ran a cad program and dvdshrink with success which required install..my only issue was the need to add a font pack for a couple of games.

you may find this interesting

http://appdb.winehq.org/appbrowse.php

and if you are a gamer

http://supergamer.org/

hope that helps a little
cheers
Everything Is Relative

Dweeberkitty

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • Multimedia Bonus Disc
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 03:42:44 pm »

Hi
If wine is installed you likely have a .wine folder in the hidden files of your home directory.

Only if you have used wine before in your user I think.

If you have wine installed, try running:

Code: [Select]
$ wineprefixcreate
Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/

overthere

• Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 03:47:43 pm »

Oh..good point..thanks for that.....newbie...that's me.....
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 03:49:21 pm by overthere »
Everything Is Relative

haywire

• Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 02:01:24 am »

I looked around my system pretty good, and I don't see any mention of wine in the start menu, I see no folders for it. I don't think vector linux 5.9 deluxe installs wine, but I could be wrong. Any idea how I can tell for sure if it is installed?

I'm still stuck in dial up, and worse yet, AOL, so I can't use gslapt. AOL will not allow a
standard ppp dialer on another os to connect... I need a proggy called penngy for that.

Someone is packaging penngy for me so I can get my vector pc online. Until that happens all I can do is download zips and transfer the to cd's for my vector pc. SUCKS.

If I can get my vector pc on the internet I may never use my windows box again, especially if wine euqipped vector will run just a few apps I'd really prefer to keep using (Adobe audition, dreamweaver, and just a few others)

Once I upgrade to a more powerful pc for my vector linux pc, I think I will spring for VMWARE workstation so I can run say windows 98se in a window. (THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!) Of course, I'm really going to need a decent speed/ram equipped pc to do that. Its 189.00$ but I think it would be worth it for the ability to run windows 98 or win2000 in a linux window. That would just be cool, and solve any emulator problems for sure.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 05:34:24 am »

I'm still stuck in dial up, and worse yet, AOL

My condolences. To see if wine is installed, just run command "wine" in a terminal. If installed, it will display a brief usage note.

If you need to download it, find it here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/testing/emulators/wine-1.0rc1-i586-1vl59.tlz

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 05:47:19 am »

Actually, RC2 is out ;)

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 07:34:26 am »

Actually, I think I misphrased that.... RC2 is out, but needs to get packaged for VL :(

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 09:19:27 am »

Someone did, that is a live link  ;D

budulay

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • NewComer
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 09:21:19 am »

actually, it was already packaged by KC1DI
VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 09:39:05 am »

OK.. I just got posted, because I clicked on the link earlier, and it returned a 404..

The good thing is... We've got RC2 ;)

exeterdad

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 09:40:59 am »

Don'tcha just hate it when links are posted before all the package moving is done :D

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 10:48:39 pm »

haywire,

Before you pay all that money for VMWare Workstation, try QEMU or VirtualBox, which don't cost anything.

I have Win 98SE installed in QEMU under VL 5.9 and it works well.
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller