VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 03:54:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beast software synth package request.  (Read 2863 times)
haywire
Vectorian

« on: May 27, 2008, 12:24:09 am »

http://beast.gtk.org/

This looks like a very powerful tool for software synthesis/sound design.

Any help on a package for vectorlinux would be much appreciated.

Steven
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 08:31:31 am »

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much action over there, last update is from december 2006. The current version can't be built with our version of guile, only with guile 1.6.x IIRC. This bug is removed from the bugtracker now, so I suppose it may be fixed in the SVN version. I tried building it, but it doesn't seem to like python 2.5 either .... asks for 2.4.

I moved all your package requests to the proper part of the forum. Keep in mind though, that we have few packagers and I could imagine some of them growing weary of packaging everything some user finds on the interweb. Don't get me wrong, some of these look like interesting software, but chaingunning the forum with package requests doesn't seem like a very good tactic to me.

Most of the software in Linux world comes zipped in either .bz2 or .gz, in which an INSTALL or README file explains how to install it. I'm not saying it's always easy to install, but you could try installing yourself. If you can't get it to work, you can of course always try posting here. You already installed your first package from source (milkytracker), that wasn't too hard was it?

Just thought I'd mention it Wink. Hope you're enjoying your stay here so far.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 08:40:15 am by The Headacher » Logged

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 09:09:42 am »

Your right I guess I was just a bit intimidated since I know very little about installing anything for vectorlinux. Take milkytracker as an example. I downloaded the package built for vector and instead of installing the binaries (something I guess I still don't know how to do) I somehow compiled it from source, following what I thought was the install instructions for the vector package... DOH! - Hey but at least it worked!

Right now the biggest thing I want/need is penngy so I can get my vector box online, the rest of this stuff is just gravy to me. Penngy I did try ALOT and had no luck at all.

The rest of these I should try to work on myself before bugging everyone here. I'm sorry to admit I didn't even try myself before posting the requests. I guess I just figured so many people here know exactly how to get these going... But your right its rude to post so many so fast. I am just very excited when I look around at some of these things and I don't have the experience to get them going on my own.

Of course, I never will if I don't fiddle with them myself, so your right I'll try more stuff
on my own before coming here for help.

Someone should post a tutorial for newbies like me about how to install vector linux packages, I really have no idea actually, I just downloaded milky tracker zipped
and read the install files, somehow like I said I ended up compiling the sources instead
of just installing what I guess were the vector linux binaries in the zip.

if you could take the milkytracker vector package as an example and tell me how to install that as a vector package properly, I'd appreciate it. Like I said what I did was
open install in mousepad and follow those directions. The good news about that "error"
is that I know more about how to install a package from source if its a decent source build I suppose.

Thanks,

Steven
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 09:49:41 am »

Your right I guess I was just a bit intimidated since I know very little about installing anything for vectorlinux. Take milkytracker as an example. I downloaded the package built for vector and instead of installing the binaries (something I guess I still don't know how to do) I somehow compiled it from source, following what I thought was the install instructions for the vector package... DOH! - Hey but at least it worked!
Actually, what you downloaded was the source as well Grin. uelsk8s posted a link to the source, not to the package since it hadn't been moved to the repository yet. VL packages end in .tlz, and slackware .tgz packages usually work as well.

The rest of these I should try to work on myself before bugging everyone here. I'm sorry to admit I didn't even try myself before posting the requests. I guess I just figured so many people here know exactly how to get these going... But your right its rude to post so many so fast. I am just very excited when I look around at some of these things and I don't have the experience to get them going on my own.
Hey, no problem, just thought I should mention Smiley.

Of course, I never will if I don't fiddle with them myself, so your right I'll try more stuff
on my own before coming here for help.
it's the best way to learn.

Someone should post a tutorial for newbies like me about how to install vector linux packages
There's one on your system, it should be here:  /usr/doc/VLHelpCenter/manuals/vl5_slaptget_en.html

if you could take the milkytracker vector package as an example and tell me how to install that as a vector package properly, I'd appreciate it.
There's a
HOWTO about installing from source
and a HOWTO on packaging for VL 5.9.

I currently don't have much time to package anymore, but once you get the hang of it it isn't too hard if the package doesn't have build errors or insane amounts of dependencies. That being said, if you're happy building packages just for home use checkinstall and vpackager can do a great job making packages. Unfortunately, packages built that way can't be shared if you take GPL2 very literally, it says you have to provide the script that was used to create the package together with the sources and the package (well it uses other words than that).

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 09:51:03 am »

Someone should post a tutorial for newbies like me about how to install vector linux packages, I really have no idea actually, I just downloaded milky tracker zipped
and read the install files, somehow like I said I ended up compiling the sources instead
of just installing what I guess were the vector linux binaries in the zip.

Here it is: http://ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/vectorlinux/docs/vl59/manuals/vl5_slaptget_en.html
There is great stuff there, that should be the first place to look for any answer.

Edit: The Headacher beat me for a few secs Sad

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 11:37:55 am »

I might be able to package this.  I'll keep you posted. Smiley
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 04:16:58 pm »

It's doable. Should have a package up tomorrow.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 08:42:20 pm »

Really? That's great exeterdad!

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 06:48:58 am »

http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=6450.0

It runs, looks cool, has some neat sounds.  But other then that...  You guys are on your own since I don't know what to do with it Smiley
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 10:32:55 am »

Thanks for the package exeterdad. Will add it to MMBD. I couldn't get it to build for me when doing the MMBD and I didn't see much use for it, but now I'll include it. Thanks!

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 11:43:01 am »

np Dweeberkitty Smiley
I thought you'd find it interesting. Just watch the SlackBuild, it's got "less then traditional" stuff going on in it. Definitely don't touch $VERSION.  It's determined by what's downloaded from svn.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: