VectorLinux
July 24, 2014, 04:47:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Compiling From Source seems impossible! [SOLVED]  (Read 1230 times)
oblivion02

« on: May 26, 2008, 11:38:05 am »

Hey there!

I want to start packaging applications for the VL community, but I cant seem to compile applications on my own box! I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong! I've chatted in the IRC and nobody has a clue as to what could be the source of the problem.

I download the source of a fairly simple app, very few dependencias which are already met by default. [Geany in this case]. During the ./configure, I was getting an error that the compiler could not make excecutables or something. I removed all the "-mtune....." parameters, rebooted, and now I can at least get through the ./configure... However, when I try "make", I get this error:
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/oblivion02/Desktop/geany-0.14/scintilla'
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I.. -I./include -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng12     -DNDEBUG -Os -DGTK -DGTK2 -DSCI_LEXER -DG_THREADS_IMPL_NONE ”€ -MT CallTip.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/CallTip.Tpo -c -o CallTip.o CallTip.cxx
g++: ”€: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [CallTip.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/oblivion02/Desktop/geany-0.14/scintilla'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/oblivion02/Desktop/geany-0.14/scintilla'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/oblivion02/Desktop/geany-0.14'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Anyone have any ideas? I dont think its permissions, because I am running it as root. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 09:49:30 pm by oblivion02 » Logged
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 12:00:19 pm »

Are gcc and gcc-g++ actually installed? You can check in gslapt or with
Code:
ls /var/log/packages/gcc*
Seems like you're missing at least gcc-g++. Perhaps you didn't install the "Dev" bulk-package during install? That would explain why it isn't there.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
oblivion02

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 12:02:01 pm »

root:# ls /var/log/packages/gcc*
/var/log/packages/gcc-4.1.2-i486-1
/var/log/packages/gcc-g++-4.1.2-i486-1
/var/log/packages/gccmakedep-1.0.2-noarch-1

They are installed. I even re-installed them using gslapt, trying to look for a solution.
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 01:02:16 pm »

Hmmmm don't understand it it compiles and makes fine here on 5.9. light. which version of VL are you using?

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 01:04:32 pm »

I'm just wondering whats up with all those special charactors in the posted output?
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 01:31:14 pm »

Hmmmm don't understand it it compiles and makes fine here on 5.9. light. which version of VL are you using?

I've also compiled/make geany fine on 5.9 standard gold - nothing special was done.  Perhaps those special characters exeterdad mentions are the problem.
oblivion02

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 09:49:03 pm »

I could not find the source of the error. However, reinstalling VL-5.9 STD worked fine. I can now compile it Wink.

Thanks anyway for the help. Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: