VectorLinux
July 23, 2014, 01:34:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hard drive defrag/optimizing, + cron.  (Read 787 times)
haywire
Vectorian

« on: May 27, 2008, 01:06:09 am »

Does vector linux include a hard drive defragger/optimizer and if so, how can I schedule this to take place with cron?

Just a strange thought that I should take some time to schedule some routine system maintenance to keep my vector pc healthy.

Any other system tweak tips that can be scheduled with cron? I'd appreciate your thoughts and advice.

Steven

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 04:53:00 am »

I've ran VL for quite a while now, never had to do any of this.

I think this is done by the filesystem. Choose a journaled file system (ie, xfs) and it will keep the data organized for you.

I haven't defragged a hard drive since my win2k days... Thank God that's over

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 06:05:52 am »

If you google "Linux" along with "disk defragmentation" you'll find some pretty good explanations of why Linux doesn't need defragmentation the way Windows does (or did ... I have no idea what Vista does about this).  Basically, what M0E-lnx wrote is completely correct; you don't have to worry about this.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: