VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Hard drive defrag/optimizing, + cron.  (Read 890 times)

haywire

• Vectorian
Hard drive defrag/optimizing, + cron.
« on: May 27, 2008, 02:06:09 am »

Does vector linux include a hard drive defragger/optimizer and if so, how can I schedule this to take place with cron?

Just a strange thought that I should take some time to schedule some routine system maintenance to keep my vector pc healthy.

Any other system tweak tips that can be scheduled with cron? I'd appreciate your thoughts and advice.

Steven

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Hard drive defrag/optimizing, + cron.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 05:53:00 am »

I've ran VL for quite a while now, never had to do any of this.

I think this is done by the filesystem. Choose a journaled file system (ie, xfs) and it will keep the data organized for you.

I haven't defragged a hard drive since my win2k days... Thank God that's over

tomh38

• Vectorian
Re: Hard drive defrag/optimizing, + cron.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 07:05:52 am »

If you google "Linux" along with "disk defragmentation" you'll find some pretty good explanations of why Linux doesn't need defragmentation the way Windows does (or did ... I have no idea what Vista does about this).  Basically, what M0E-lnx wrote is completely correct; you don't have to worry about this.
"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991