VectorLinux
November 27, 2014, 01:10:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector is slack based?  (Read 1217 times)
darkmacintosh

« on: June 01, 2008, 08:14:18 pm »

Is this a slack based distro? I want to learn how to compile from source and CLI, but I don't want to be stuck in console only. Also does this distro support codecs and plug ins for browsers like flash and shockwave etc, cd burning apps?
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 08:21:04 pm »

Is this a slack based distro?

Yes. While it has its own packages, many Slackware packages will work fine as well.

I want to learn how to compile from source and CLI, but I don't want to be stuck in console only.

Huh I'm not sure I understand the relevance. Vector install has an (optional) X Windows package, and is fully capable of running Xwindows.

For compiling, 5.9 comes with a very useful addon - Vpackager, which allows building packages using a modified ports system, or building from a tarball. I think the version on the iso may be a bit broken, but there is an update available.

Also does this distro support codecs and plug ins for browsers like flash and shockwave etc, cd burning apps?

Yes, yes (though in the case of plugins for browsers, you need to install the optional Mplayer package or the browser plugins won't work), and yes.

paul.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 08:22:14 pm »

Is this a slack based distro? I want to learn how to compile from source and CLI, but I don't want to be stuck in console only. Also does this distro support codecs and plug ins for browsers like flash and shockwave etc, cd burning apps?
Yes Vector is Slackware based, but that does not mean you have to use the console only.
Vector has the best support for most codecs out of the box of any linux distro, IMO of course.

Give it a try. I think you will like it.
Uelsk8s
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 08:29:27 pm »

VectorLinux is based on Slackware. Different versions of VL are based on different versions of Slackware. You can usually use Slackware packages with VL--best to use a Slackware package specific to the version of Slack on which the Vector version is based.

Compiling from source generally goes well in VectorLinux. Even I have done it, and I have very little knowledge of and interest in compiling from source.

All versions of VectorLinux come with at least a couple of window managers or desktop environments, and there are packages in the VL repos for window managers that aren't included with your Vector version.

Most common codecs and plugins are already installed in VL--Flash, MPlayer, codecs for Windows media formats, Java runtime, PDF reader, etc. At least one CD Burner program is included with all versions of VL.

You can do just about anything with VectorLinux. I like it so much that I don't bother trying other distros. And we have a friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable community in this forum.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: