VectorLinux
September 21, 2014, 05:51:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wireless Connection Problem  (Read 7453 times)
ng234

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2008, 06:13:25 am »

ok...i think the orinoco driver is loaded. open VASM as root, go to NETWORK -> WIRELESS -> INTERFACE. Key in the info and then ADD a wireless connection. Then CONNECT to that wireless connection.

As root I open VASM go to network --> wireless--> interface - my interface is set to 'eth1' and the driver 'orinoco'. I key in 'linksys' as my essid, and 'home network' for the short description, I turned off my encryption on the network and selected 'plaintext' , then 'done'. I went to 'connect' selected 'linksys defined' and was still unable to connect - any ideas
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2008, 06:22:08 am »

Your ESSID is correct according to iwconfig.

There is a communication problem with the access
point.

I see that there is no response from the access point
when using iwconfig eth1 scan.

Try that again and also look at the AP to see if a connection
has been attempted.

Bigpaws
ng234

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2008, 07:18:49 am »

I am using a linksys wrt54g router as my WAP - how to I check and see if my laptop is trying to connect?

Edit - I am looking at the DHCP clients table, and I only see one connection - not the Vector Linux laptop I am trying to connect. Maybe this is the issue?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 07:42:35 am by ng234 » Logged
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2008, 07:59:24 am »

hhmm....not sure what is the problem......maybe you can try all over again using VASM.....auto detect your network device in VASM again........

PS: Can you join VL IRC channel at Freenode so that we can help you more........at #vectorlinux channel...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 08:08:45 am by hata_ph » Logged
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2008, 10:02:12 pm »

Today I test install VL59 on one of my Dell latitude D600 and I also have the problem to connect to network using the wireless. But then I try "dmesg" from console as root and from the output I saw something like

eth1: Radio is disabled by RF switch

then I reliase that I can enable or disable the wireless from hotkey for Dell laptop. After I enable the wireless all work well.
Maybe your laptop have the same function as mine. Have a try.

There is another way of find out whether your laptop have built-in wireless is to disassemble the laptop. Usually the wireless card is mounted at the bottom of the laptop. Try to look for it and give us the brand/model.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 10:44:55 pm by hata_ph » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: