VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 01:39:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Enable automatic login...  (Read 1912 times)
avantgardaclue

« on: May 29, 2008, 12:26:17 am »

Hi guys, new to vector, 3 years an ubuntu user but time to move on!

Just wondering if there is an 'automatic login' function? There's only me using the system so i really don't need to login with password every time i boot up.

thanks... Simon
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 03:43:51 am »

Question is answered here
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=2913.0

NOTE
The path to kdmrc has changed, so instead of editing /opt/kde/share/config/kdm/kdmrc
you need to edit /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc
Other than that, the procedure is the same

Welcome to vl
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 03:46:06 am by M0E-lnx » Logged

avantgardaclue

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 05:01:31 am »

Thanks Moe. I'm certain i don't have KDE on this machine so following the instructions you kindly pointed me to i edited the inittab file accordingly.... (setting the default level to 7)

>>In case you dont want to launch the heavy KDM just for this ...

Edit /etc/inittab.
Change the default run level to 7 or 8.

To change the default user,
edit /etc/rc.d/rc.A.
Change the user id from 1000 to whoever you wish.

p.s: Not sure if this is still valid (it was in VL Dynamite 5.9.x)<<

Simple enough you might think!!?

>>Use of this method on VL 5.8 standard causes system to hang on boot up when starting services for Run Level 8.  However the method described for editing the kdmrc file does work flawlessly...<<

Hmmm, well it's caused my system to hang too! How do I login now that the gui has not booted? PLEASE!!!!

thanx
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 05:04:23 am »

Wild guess.. your other post mentions that Opera was installed by default. That indicates that you have VL Light. In Light B5 and later, you should see a menu entry "KDM Autologin" that will do this for you.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 05:05:32 am »

Hmmm, well it's caused my system to hang too! How do I login now that the gui has not booted? PLEASE!!!!

Can you select linux-tui from the boot menu?
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 05:07:29 am »

The fact of the matter is that if you have VL 5.8 STD or later, you may not have KDE, but you do have KDM (unless you removed it yourself)

So the instructions will still work Wink

avantgardaclue

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 05:23:05 am »

Can you select linux-tui from the boot menu?

Hi Nightflier, yes have tried linux-tui, got to the stage where i key my name in and my password. At the nest prompt went startxfce4  which came up with some old guff... fatal server error: no screens found. giving up.  Data incomplete in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Tried again going startx... same thing, hmmmmm!
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 05:58:38 am »

If you can log in to the command line you are in good shape.

First undo the changes that made your system hang. "mcedit /etc/inittab" should get you there. Make the changes, hit F2 to save, F10 to exit.

Next, try "vasm", continue to xwindow > xconf to see if you can fix your GUI.

Which VL version are you running?
avantgardaclue

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 08:51:13 am »

Hi Nightflier,
Can't be doing with all this... however what i saw of vector definitely suggested to me that i should persevere so i downloaded the gold iso and installed over the top.... fan dabby dozy... love it!

One thing though... how on earth do you get it to accept a British English keyboard?!?

thanks... Simon
avantgardaclue

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 08:57:44 am »

The fact of the matter is that if you have VL 5.8 STD or later, you may not have KDE, but you do have KDM (unless you removed it yourself)

So the instructions will still work Wink

Thanks for this Moe, i decided to download the 5.9 Gold ver of Vector though where this KDM thing is i dunno, looked through all the menus, typed kdm into a terminal, but alas it is determined to stay hidden!

Simon
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 09:11:48 am »

KDM will not be on the menu, KDM gets launched by xorg I believe, but it's a good thing that you're upgrading to 5.9 gold Wink
although, you could have made it work on 5.8 too

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: