VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: VL on USB - sda vs. sdb  (Read 1660 times)

martinv

VL on USB - sda vs. sdb
« on: June 02, 2008, 02:05:18 pm »

I installed VL 5.9 Standard to an USB memory stick, it was detected as /dev/sda1, so I just selected this device during install process. There was a problem when booting the installed system, kernel was unable to mount root fs, so I used rootdelay option and it was working just fine. I tested it on three different computers and it was working just fine, apart from that I had to reconfigure Xorg each time - I had three different computers with three different graphics cards. I will think about this Xorg problem later.

But today I sticked the USB memory stick to some other computer, I was able to boot from it, but when mounting the root fs, I noticed, that the USB memory stick was detected as /dev/sdb1. According to LILO, kernel was looking for sda1. So I used the root=/dev/sdb1 option and kernel was able to mount root fs, but later in the boot process I got some nasty errors, because of my configuration was for sda1 not sdb1. I didn't had enough time to save the error output (dmesg might be usefull?). Yes, it's so lame  >:(

Is it just a BIOS problem? Or there is something bigger behind it? How to hande this ugliness?

The Headacher

• Louder than you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
  • I like the bass to go BOOM!
    • Multimedia on VL (work in progress)
Re: VL on USB - sda vs. sdb
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 12:39:51 am »

On LiveCD's / USB distro's , this sort of problem is usually circumvented by creating the problematic files (like /etc/fstab ) during boot, but I'm not sure how this is done. Something you could try is install a VL liveCD to your USB stick and see if that works for you. Or pull the other scsi / sata disk from the computer so the USB stick becomes sda again ;D.
Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.

martinv

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 01:34:06 pm »

(...) So I used the root=/dev/sdb1 option and kernel was able to mount root fs, but later in the boot process I got some nasty errors, because of my configuration was for sda1 not sdb1. I didn't had enough time to save the error output (dmesg might be usefull?). (...)
I tried it once again and now I know, where is the problem. It's fsck. I got this error, then executin fsck during boot: "the reiserfs superblock cannot be found on /dev/sda1 ..." and there is a message, that I shold login in a single-user mode and fix the problem. So I put in the root password, the single-user console shows up. Then I logout and the system reboots and goes into the same fsck error again.

I could modify the /etc/fstab file, but I want the root fs to be determined automatically.

Any ideas? Maybe I should read the Vector Linux Live boot scripts and look for the stuff The Headacher is talking about.

martinv

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 02:21:21 pm »

Ok, I disabled the fsck root filesystem check in /etc/rc.d/rc.S and I was able to boot on the computer, which handles the USB memory stick as /dev/sdb1. Everything seemed to be allright. It's ugly and baaad, but it's ok as a temporary solution.

But the biggest problem still lies ahead
- LILO is configured to use /dev/sda1, if I boot on a computer, which handles the USB memory stick as /dev/sdb1, I need to enter root=/dev/sdb1 kernel parameter. Any ideas how to "autodetect" the device name of device, from which the LILO is running?

I have to admit that I didn't read the Vector Linux Live init scripts yet, so maybe it needs a little work. Or maybe it's a matter of /boot directory and some ramdisk - in that case i'm doomed.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 02:23:36 pm by martinv »