VectorLinux
September 19, 2014, 05:37:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Out of curiosity...  (Read 10063 times)
Cariboo
Vectorite

« on: June 02, 2008, 02:16:52 pm »

Hi all,
I made a VL-5.9-std installation on a Compaq Pressario Desktop and I think this kind of hardware is new enough to handle more advanced 3D applications.

My thought was to try the package 'Compiz Fusion' on this machine but I don't know if it is available and running under VectorLinux. Huh
Has anybody an idea/answer to this?
Any reply is appreciated.

(I only know Compiz  from my own computer where I installed Ubuntu 8.04 recently.)

Life is full of setbacks; Success is measured by the way you deal with them!
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 04:15:40 pm »

You'll find compiz-fuzion in the testing repo.  Wouldn't hurt to install it.  It will either work, or it won't.  It works amazingly well on older hardware.  Either way.  It you don't like it.  You can un-install without any worries.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 04:44:06 pm »

evidently works on vl-light..if you have the spec...not sure what that is but I may soon find out if it is my box

http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?PHPSESSID=90802e14f33ecf2814fdc74cf9c7af60&topic=6462.0

cheers
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 04:47:50 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 08:41:34 pm »

Oh well, this looks promising.....
Now, what/where is the 'testing repo'?
How do I get the package?
Are there special video cards needed?

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 01:54:54 am »

In the package manager (/system/gslapt package manager on the menu) go to edit/preferances/sources and check testing and extras if you like and update(click update) the packages list.
compiz is open gl so perhaps if the open gl screensavers work well on your box you have a chance..I'm guessing..on vl-light there are a number of dependancies not automatically installed so some work is involved...I could not find gnome-vts but perhaps this is less so on vl-std....good luck
cheers

Everything Is Relative
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 11:28:16 am »

In the package manager (/system/gslapt package manager on the menu) go to edit/preferances/sources and check testing and extras if you like and update(click update) the packages list.....
cheers
Thanks, overthere,
I followed your directions and I noticed that there are quite a few 'testing' and 'extras' sources not check-marked yet..
Do you know, which ones would be relevant to get 'compiz fusion'?

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 12:51:48 pm »

If you have one each of "packages," "extra," "testing," and "patches," from http://ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-5.9 enabled - or, alternatively, from http://vectorlinux.osuosl/veclinux-5.9 enabled, that's all there is (from the official Vector Linux repositories).  Everything else is either a mirror of Vector Linux or one of the official Slackware 12 repositories.  You can find compiz-fusion in one of the testing repositories listed above (i.e. either the http:// or ftp://).  Hope this helps.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 08:08:37 pm »

Thank you, overthere and tomh38,

OK, I got it...
-->Menu -->System -->gslapt Manager.
Here:
Edit  ---Preferences ---Tab: Sources
Here:
checkmark ---http://..*/testing
Then:
Gslapt --Update

Now the packages "compiz" and "compiz-fusion" are listed.

Question:
Do I have to install both???

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 08:27:11 pm »

I was going to install compiz-fusion.. it is a vl-5.9 package..I have not had time yet...post if it works for you..sorry thought I would have time today but too busy...maby someone else can shed light
cheers

Everything Is Relative
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 06:34:11 am »

Cariboo:  good question.  The best answer I can give you is that I have a fully functioning compiz-fusion install; I just checked my own Gslapt, and I only have the compiz-fusion package installed.  I saw, though, that there is a newer compiz-fusion package than the one I have installed.  Perhaps it needs compiz as a dependency.  This is my advice:  check the most recent compiz-fusion package, then click the "Execute" button.  If compiz-fusion needs anything as a dependency, Gslapt should resolve that.  After installation you should have an entry titled "Compiz Fusion Icon" in the "System" section.  Clicking that should start compiz-fusion.  I would say give it a try and tell us back here how it went.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 07:04:28 am »

compiz is not a dep of compiz-fusion.  Not sure what compiz is anyway. Tom, you see a newer compiz-fusion then what you have installed because yours came with your Delux CD. It is NOT a clean upgrade from what's included in the deluxe CD.  Yours is made up of several related packages.  The one in testing is all rolled up into one.

If you were to upgrade.  I'm sure it will run.  But it will leave incomplete entries in your slapt-get database.  The original packages should be removed first.  There's a thread in Package news and updates.  Were compiz-fusion was announced explaining how to deal with this.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 07:29:26 am »

Thanks exeterdad ... I sort of remember that now.  It might have been the day before my girlfriend hit me on the head with the 5-iron ... or I might just be getting old.  Grin  I removed the packages from the deluxe CD, and installed the all-in-one compiz-fusion package.

Tom

Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 08:39:07 am »

.....After installation you should have an entry titled "Compiz Fusion Icon" in the "System" section.  Clicking that should start compiz-fusion.  I would say give it a try and tell us back here how it went.
I installed the compiz -fusion package only and as you predicted, I got the "Compiz Fusion Icon" in the "System" section.
When I click on it, the screen goes blank ( only the wallpaper shown, all open windows gone) for about half a second and then the screen is back to normal and the 'Compiz Fusion Icon' appears in the "Panel bar".
Right-clicking on that gives me another sub menu, containing
'Settings Manager
"Emerald Theme manager"
etc.
When I try to change to another desktop, nothing goes.
When I quit "compiz" I still can't change the dektop Roll Eyes the whole window handling seems to be stopped.
(Sorry, I'm not educated enough to explain it better.)
After posting this I will have to Restart and see if I can get the window manager back to work again.

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 08:49:47 am »

Hey Cariboo ...

I think you're on the way to success.

1) To restart your desktop without compiz-fusion, don't reboot the machine, just log out and log back in.  I've had trouble just stopping compiz-fusion, so to get rid of it I just log out and log in.  That should do the trick.
2) Did you try seeing the cube by holding down Ctrl-Alt+Left mouse button and then moving the mouse?
3) You may need to fiddle around with the Settings Manager and and Emerald to get things the way you want them.
4) I've been assuming you're using Xfce.  If that's the case, when you stop compiz-fusion and Xfce handle the desktop, it may default to only one desktop.  That happens to me.  To change this back, go to Main menu -> Settings -> Workspaces settings to change this back to what you had before.
5) Remember that compiz-fusion still needs a lot of development, and you may encounter quite a few bugs.  Also, the Settings Manager is not particularly easy to understand - you have to dig around a lot for some of the settings you may want.

I hope this helps.

Tom

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 09:04:11 am »

If you are getting the "flash" and then the windows disappear, then reappear unchanged. You may want to try right clicking the blue icon in your tray.  Then select "Select Window Manager" from the dialog.  Then see if Compiz is selected.  If not, select it.  You should then see the "flash" again, and most likely see new window decorations on your windows that were open.
Grab the top of your window with your mouse and start shaking to see if it wobbles.  Hopefully you'll be in business.
Good luck Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: