VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Wireless Connection Problem  (Read 8854 times)

ng234

Re: Wireless Connection Problem
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2008, 07:13:25 am »

ok...i think the orinoco driver is loaded. open VASM as root, go to NETWORK -> WIRELESS -> INTERFACE. Key in the info and then ADD a wireless connection. Then CONNECT to that wireless connection.

As root I open VASM go to network --> wireless--> interface - my interface is set to 'eth1' and the driver 'orinoco'. I key in 'linksys' as my essid, and 'home network' for the short description, I turned off my encryption on the network and selected 'plaintext' , then 'done'. I went to 'connect' selected 'linksys defined' and was still unable to connect - any ideas

bigpaws

• Vectorian
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2008, 07:22:08 am »

Your ESSID is correct according to iwconfig.

There is a communication problem with the access
point.

I see that there is no response from the access point
when using iwconfig eth1 scan.

Try that again and also look at the AP to see if a connection
has been attempted.

Bigpaws

ng234

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2008, 08:18:49 am »

I am using a linksys wrt54g router as my WAP - how to I check and see if my laptop is trying to connect?

Edit - I am looking at the DHCP clients table, and I only see one connection - not the Vector Linux laptop I am trying to connect. Maybe this is the issue?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 08:42:35 am by ng234 »

hata_ph

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • -- Just being myself --
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2008, 08:59:24 am »

hhmm....not sure what is the problem......maybe you can try all over again using VASM.....auto detect your network device in VASM again........

PS: Can you join VL IRC channel at Freenode so that we can help you more........at #vectorlinux channel...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 09:08:45 am by hata_ph »

hata_ph

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • -- Just being myself --
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2008, 11:02:12 pm »

Today I test install VL59 on one of my Dell latitude D600 and I also have the problem to connect to network using the wireless. But then I try "dmesg" from console as root and from the output I saw something like

eth1: Radio is disabled by RF switch

then I reliase that I can enable or disable the wireless from hotkey for Dell laptop. After I enable the wireless all work well.
Maybe your laptop have the same function as mine. Have a try.

There is another way of find out whether your laptop have built-in wireless is to disassemble the laptop. Usually the wireless card is mounted at the bottom of the laptop. Try to look for it and give us the brand/model.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 11:44:55 pm by hata_ph »
Pages: 1 2 [3]