VectorLinux
September 16, 2014, 09:09:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Packages for Evince and Graveman  (Read 6220 times)
wibedo

« on: June 05, 2008, 12:22:23 pm »

Hallo, is there anywhere who can tell me, if I can found VL-Packages for Evince and Graveman?
wibedo

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 01:53:49 pm »

Still another question:
When I want to install a package with Gslapt, not all dependencies are dissolved.
How can I fix it or can I use "netpkg" from Zenwalk?
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 03:57:11 pm »

Still another question:
When I want to install a package with Gslapt, not all dependencies are dissolved.
How can I fix it or can I use "netpkg" from Zenwalk?

That is more like a mistake from our side, please report in the forum when you find an unmet dependency and we will try to fix it as soon as possible.
I don't think you can use netpkg, but I could be wrong. The information about dependencies is hosted in the server, you can use anything that can read that information.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 08:13:21 pm »

Yes, a little more information about what packages you were trying to install, and what packages failed would be very appreciated.

Thanks Smiley
BTW If you are running VL5.9, we don't package Graveman.  The project has been dead for a while, with many many bugs that may never be fixed.  Of course that could change if we see them come to life and improve.
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 05:55:40 am »

Hi. Since Evince was mentioned, I'd like to say that I think it would be a good choice as a PDF viewer for Vector. I've used it in Zenwalk ands it works well.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 05:27:56 pm »

One thing I will say about dependencies... you really, really, really have to have the patches repository enabled at this point.  That doesn't happen by default and it should do.  Make sure patches is enabled on your system in gslapt and try again.  I suspect your problem with dependencies may just disappear.

As already mentioned we don't package graveman.  We do have k3b (the best CD/DVD burner, IMHO), and two lightweight alternatives: vburn and xfburn. 

We also don't package evince.  It's possible a volunteer packager will read it and make the package.  That won't be me. 

Is it just me?  I found xnetpkg in Zenwalk to be pretty broken.  gslapt, OTOH,really works well.  So does the command line netpkg in Zenwalk, BTW.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 09:37:25 am »

As already mentioned we don't package graveman.  We do have k3b (the best CD/DVD burner, IMHO), and two lightweight alternatives: vburn and xfburn. 

We also don't package evince.  It's possible a volunteer packager will read it and make the package.  That won't be me.

What sort of problems would someone encounter if they tried?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 09:42:56 am by Colonel Panic » Logged
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 10:22:15 am »

I'm not sure there would be any particular issues.  Worst case is that you might have to build some missing dependency packages.

I don't use evince and I am over committed in terms of time at this point.  That's the reason I won't be able to build it by request.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 10:57:21 am »

Fair enough. I may have a go myself if I can find the time and there are no big dependencies which require downloading.
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 03:40:10 am »

Doesn't look like it'll be me either; I hosed my Vector installation over the weekend Sad

At the moment there's no middle weight alternative to Adobe Reader (which works very well but uses a huge amount of system resources). Xpdf is OK for about 90% of PDF files I want to read but not all in my experience.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 06:35:41 am »

I'm having a go at it, but it seems to require a newer version of poppler....
And that's after upgrading gnome-icon-theme.
I guess I'll crack it in some time.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 07:20:58 am »

Right, it can be done, but there's a problem because it requires a newer version of gnome-icon-theme.
The gnome-icon-theme package changes a lot of the icons everywhere (at least in xfce) and a couple of them become unassigned and you have to manually search for the icons and state its path.

I find it a problem that the looks of your desktop will change as a consequence of installing a pdf viewer.

Perhaps evince will run just fine without the new gnome-icon-theme and that is only required to build it.
I can give it a try, but if it actually complains about something when the new icons are not there, I think I'll put it on hold, as it is a bit too messy.
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 11:29:30 am »

It's good that you're having a go anyway. I had a look at all the packages required and thought it looked complicated.

Thanks and best wishes,

CP .
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 12:26:23 pm »

Yea, I looked at it a bit more and it's a bit of a mess...
Gnome-icon-theme in turn requires other stuff, unless going for an earlier version, and poppler needs to be upgraded as well.
And that might be only the beginning, if one wants to have all the functionality (because it supports other types of documents through other libs).

I'll call it quits for now.
I'm sure it will be much easier with VL 6.0, with the newer libs in place.

One promising pdf viewer was epdfview, which does not require gnome libs.
But development on that seems to have halted, and last time I tried it, it was way to slow for long documents.
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 03:02:49 am »

Fair dos, thanks for trying anyway.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: