VectorLinux
September 20, 2014, 07:36:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: pdftk install problem  (Read 8332 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« on: June 06, 2008, 10:40:12 pm »

When attempting to install pdftk 1.41, to VL 5.8, Gslapt says "Excluding pdftk due to dependency failure," noting "Depends: gcc-java >= 3.4.6-i486-1".  As that gcc-java file is already in fact on my system,  I installed pdftk anyway and get error "pdftk:error while loading shared libraries:libgcj.so.5:cannot open shared object file: No sch file or directory."  Tried to locate libgcj but no luck.  Uninstalled pdftk 1.41 and Installed pdftk 1.12 directly from slackware but get same libgcj.so.5 error.

Anyone else have this problem?  If not, I will assume its another problem with my VL 5.8 system that a new install would cure. However, other than a self-imposed but minor problem in changing the default "open with" in thunar, my system works perfectly and I am reluctant to reinstall Vector.

Thanks

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Birdman

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 08:07:27 am »

John,

I am running VL5.9 and grabbed a Slackware pdftk package and I am having the same problem. I am not sure that an upgrade would solve your problem therefore. If you have found a way of making it work please let me know.

Alan
Birdman

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 08:42:23 am »

John,

Just found this solution http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Text-Editing-Processing/Others/PDF-Split-and-Merge-10743.shtml

Very easy to use java app that actually works on Vector Smiley

Alan
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 09:04:13 am »

Just one note to everyone:  I inherited a real mess with the 5.8 repos and I don't know how much is fixable at this late date.  I'll probably pull the offending package (pdtfk) from extra which means we won't have it in the repo and nobody else will get this error.

I do recommend that everyone upgrade to 5.9 or better.  The repos are in decent shape and are being maintained properly.  There are current security patches and fixes being built for every vulnerability that crops up for 5.9.  5.8 is almost unmaintained at this point because most of the packagers simply aren't running a nearly two year old release and many don't have the time or equipment to build for 3 or 4 releases..  In future we hopefully will maintain the 5.9 repo for a lot longer than we did 5.8 because we simply won't let things get out of hand the way they did.

Anyway, right now running 5.8 is simply not a good idea if you want to keep your system secure and patched.  Everyone who is still on 5.8 or earlier should probably conisder upgrading to 5.9 (Standard, Light), or 5.9.1 (SOHO).

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 09:40:28 pm »

Alan

Thanks for the suggestion:

Just found this solution http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Text-Editing-Processing/Others/PDF-Split-and-Merge-10743.shtml

Very easy to use java app that actually works on Vector Smiley

I tried it without success.  Even though on Softpedia's linux page, it seems to be a windows program.  In any event, I can't seem to install it.

I am trying to install a trial demo of  a $80 pdf editing program which I downloaded from
http://www.coherentpdf.com/custom-development.html

I still get the libgcj.so error even on 5.9 standard when trying to install pdftk.  Locate says I don't have libgcj.so (any version), so I assume I have to download another version of java runtime or jre, but I am reluctant to do that until I learn more about it.

John

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 01:30:43 am »

I still get the libgcj.so error even on 5.9 standard when trying to install pdftk.  Locate says I don't have libgcj.so (any version), so I assume I have to download another version of java runtime or jre

For compiling java, I think you would need jdk, not jre.
(see this howto, if you want to give it a try: http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=7361.0)

I might be wrong, but I don't think that would help either (in 5.9).
The gcc-java package is a different one and adds java compiling to gcc.
I don't think it is included in the gcc package, and it is not in the 5.9 repos.

Check gslapt to see if you have that package for 5.8.
If you do, in fact, have libgcj.so.5 inside /usr/lib, I'm puzzled....
(make sure it's 5, and if you have libgcj.so, make a symlink to it called libgcj.so.5)

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 08:07:40 am »

Thanks.

I will keep at it, as time permits.  I really don't know if I need pdftk all that much, but probably do.  Pdfedit works OK and I got cpdf (http://www.coherentpdf.com), a $ program to work on my Vector 5.9 standard system.  It may do about the same thing as pdftk, i.e.

./cpdf -add-text "My text" in.pdf -o out.pdf

John

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 02:53:04 pm »

Quick example of what I hope to be able to do in pdftk.

I often get pdf files which, upon being printed, lose some print along the left-column of the page (tries to print too close to the left margin).  To remedy this, I use pdfedit and "edit page metrics."  I can then have it print well to the right margin.  Each page has to be edited.  Quite tedious in a long document.

In dos, we used to be able to move the printer head to the right by way of a printer string.

I suspect pdftk allows some automation here.

John

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 08:36:11 pm »

I've just submitted gcc-java to the 5.9 repo, which should give you the libgcj library. (version is 4.1.2)
I'm in the process of compiling pdftk... It needs a patch to compile, but it works fine. It doesn't seem to do what you want , John, but I might be wrong.

I'm not sure if the 5.8 pdftk package can be used with it though, because 5.8 had a different gcc version...
But you can grab other versions of gcc-java from here: http://packages.slackware.it/
(as long as you select the right slackware version)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 11:40:43 pm »

Thanks wcs!

I use only 5.9 now so I am probably OK.  I very much look forward to gcc-java being on the 5.9 repo and then to pdftk.  I plan to wait for that, as I prefer not risking a non-repo download.   

John

Birdman

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 02:37:27 pm »

John,

I downloaded the binary package, unzipped it and simply ran the app from the shell as described on the website. There wasn't any compiling to do. If you have the java packages installed (jre-6u5-i586-1) then there shouldn't be any problems.

Best of luck.

Alan
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 08:00:33 am »

Alan,

There are several packages on the pdftk site, for different flavors of linux.  Do you recall which one you downloaded?

John

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 08:14:04 am »

The only one that's "zipped" is the windows version Grin
Birdman

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 01:34:46 pm »

Alan,

There are several packages on the pdftk site, for different flavors of linux.  Do you recall which one you downloaded?

John
John, the file I have is pdfsam-1.0.1-out.zip

I created a directory called pdfsam, placed the downloaded file in there and unzipped it. I cd'd to that dir and
Code:
java -jar pdfsam-1.0.1.jar
That worked for me.

As far as 'being the windows version' goes. I am no expert but I though the whole point of java was that you run JVM (java virtual machine), making it platform independent. Either way it worked for me.

Alan
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 01:53:23 pm »

Sorry about that Alan.  I was actually referring to the zip file at the pdftk website which is a windows exe.  PDFSam sounds very interesting - I'll have to take a look.

Cheers!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: