VectorLinux
September 17, 2014, 01:12:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I want /dev/disk/by-uuid directory  (Read 2360 times)
martinv

« on: June 07, 2008, 10:31:11 am »

Hi,

my Vector Linux 5.9 Standard doesn't include /dev/disk/by-uuid directory. There are by-label, by-path, by-id directories, but no by-uuid. What's wrong?

I want to specify the root partition in GRUB using UUID. So when I use UUID of my root fs as root kernel parameter, "kernel panicked - unable to mount root fs" error shows up.

When I enter /dev/sda2 as root= instead of UUID, the system boots ok and even though there is no by-uuid directory, but I'm able to mount /dev/sda1 by it's UUID (mount UUID=4841-38C0 /mnt/hd), which I can find out using vol_id command. That's a little strange I think. It seems like the system understands the UUID when I log in, but not in the early phase of booting.

Please help!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: