VectorLinux
September 22, 2014, 01:48:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Permissions on USB media  (Read 1550 times)
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« on: June 07, 2008, 11:35:55 am »

I have a number of USB devices (both hard drive and flash) that I use under Vector. Most of them are either FAT32 or NTFS, which works quite well. A normal user has both read and write permissions to the devices.

However, I've just added a 40 GB USB hard drive. Since it is intended purely for Linux data, I decided to use a Linux file system on it. I've now tried both ext3 and jfs, and I'm getting the same results in both cases - while a normal user has read permission, only root has write permission to the device.

Since I'm using HAL, I have no way of changing the permissions on the mount directory (its created on the fly by HAL). I assume that I must modify the HAL mount script to allow a normal user both read and write permissions to the device, but I've not managed to work out where or how to do so. Can anyone tell me what script/rule is in charge of mounting USB devices, and what changes I would need to make in order to give normal users write permissions on a USB device with a native Linux file system?

Also, on a slightly related note, is there a command that allows me to change the volume name of the partition that I created on the USB disk? At the moment, HAL is resolving it as 'disk', but I would like to have a proper partition label, since that would be useful for checking in scripts.

paul.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: