VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 05:20:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Application not available to other users  (Read 1444 times)
mookav

« on: June 08, 2008, 06:05:34 pm »

Hello,

I am running VL 5.9 Standard on an Old Compaq Presario with P3 450Mhz and 384MB RAM

I installed RealPlayer10 using my root login. The application got installed correctly and it is working. I can see a menu item under multimedia menu and the plugins work.

However, when I log in as another user in the system none of the above happens. It is almost like RealPlayer10 is not installed in the system.

I am a Linux newbie. All I can guess is that is probably something related to file permissions. However, I do not know how to correct the issue.

Any suggestions are welcome

Mookav
thunderheights

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 06:16:28 pm »

This is my first attempt at helping...so if I am wrong please correct...
sign in as root...find realplayer...right click...then permissions...and check execute box for user/group.
I think you can also do this by opening a terminal
su          [enter]
password [enter]

know where realplayer is located?
example: /home/youname/realplayer

type command : chmod 755 /home/yourname/realplayer  [enter]
Logout...
Then sign in as other user and it should work

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 06:20:35 pm by thunderheights » Logged

Vector Linux 6.0   Laptop
2 GB RAM/1.9 GHz AMD Athlon X2 64/120GB HD dual booting w/ Win Vista
Vector Linux 5.9 Lite Desktop
64 MB RAM/ 754.36 MHz AMD Duron /30GB HD, (1/2 of which I'm sharing with Win XP)
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 04:20:11 am »

if the player was installed in /home/yourname...  It will never be found by other users.  It needs to be installed as root globally, or installed once again by the "other" user in their home dir.
thunderheights

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 08:05:57 am »

So, if it is installed in:   /root/realplayer
is  the advice I gave correct?

sign in as root...find realplayer...right click...then permissions...and check execute box for user/group.

or

by opening a terminal
su          [enter]
password [enter]

know where realplayer is located?
example: /root/realplayer

type command : chmod 755 /root/realplayer  [enter]
Logout...
Then sign in as other user and it should work

Thanks!
I'm still new...but trying to help! Smiley

64 MB RAM/ 754.36 MHz AMD Duron /30GB HD, (1/2 of which I'm sharing with Win XP)
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 09:07:32 am »

Is this a plugin? It's been awhile since I've messed with realplayer since I don't have a need for it. If it's a plugin, the standard place for the browsers to look for the plugin is /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins (global, all users).  OR in the users home directory. ./mozilla/plugins (single user). You may have to create this directory if it doesn't exist.

I wouldn't recommend letting users have access to ANYTHING installed within the root home directory.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 10:06:28 am »

thunderheights:
Your assumption is correct, you can install a program in the root home directory and with the proper permisions, anyone would execute it. However, the standard location for programs for all users is /usr/bin, or even /usr/local/bin. The root owned programs are usually installed in /sbin or in /usr/sbin. This is a custom but not mandatory or applicable in all the cases. For example, if a program is distributed with its own libs, or needs some sub-dirs to work or files associated with the binary, I like to have it in /opt so I can keep /usr/bin clean. In this case I would put realplayer in /opt and place a symlink to /usr/bin which is in the path of all the users. It is also the custom to place in /opt the big programs like kde or open office. I extend this usage to any static binary.

HTH

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
mookav

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 08:11:05 am »

thunderheights:

Thanks for your suggestion.
I tried the steps you suggested. But i could not see realplayer in the menu list for the 'other' user.

The realplayer files are all installed under /root/realplaer folder that the installer created.

No this is not just a plug in. This is Realplayer10 application
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 08:30:15 am »

thunderheights:
Your assumption is correct, you can install a program in the root home directory and with the proper permisions, anyone would execute it. However, the standard location for programs for all users is /usr/bin, or even /usr/local/bin. The root owned programs are usually installed in /sbin or in /usr/sbin. This is a custom but not mandatory or applicable in all the cases. For example, if a program is distributed with its own libs, or needs some sub-dirs to work or files associated with the binary, I like to have it in /opt so I can keep /usr/bin clean. In this case I would put realplayer in /opt and place a symlink to /usr/bin which is in the path of all the users. It is also the custom to place in /opt the big programs like kde or open office. I extend this usage to any static binary.

HTH

Best explaination I've heard in a long time , Thanks

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
thunderheights

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 10:01:52 am »

Thank you for the corrections. I forgot about the security issues regarding root.
I am a single user on a single computer, so I haven't had to worry about other users as of yet.
That is something I should have remembered and something I should be practicing more often.
The standard location(s) of where things are installed or can be installed, is also a great help.
(another thing I had not fully comprehended, until now)  Smiley
Your willingness to take the time to share your knowledge is very much appreciated by this noob!

bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 10:02:52 am »

When installing RealPlayer there is an option for global
installation. Which will then install RealPlayer in /opt.

Bigpaws
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: