VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Permissions on USB media  (Read 1737 times)

toothandnail

• Tester
  • Vectorian
Permissions on USB media
« on: June 07, 2008, 12:35:55 pm »

I have a number of USB devices (both hard drive and flash) that I use under Vector. Most of them are either FAT32 or NTFS, which works quite well. A normal user has both read and write permissions to the devices.

However, I've just added a 40 GB USB hard drive. Since it is intended purely for Linux data, I decided to use a Linux file system on it. I've now tried both ext3 and jfs, and I'm getting the same results in both cases - while a normal user has read permission, only root has write permission to the device.

Since I'm using HAL, I have no way of changing the permissions on the mount directory (its created on the fly by HAL). I assume that I must modify the HAL mount script to allow a normal user both read and write permissions to the device, but I've not managed to work out where or how to do so. Can anyone tell me what script/rule is in charge of mounting USB devices, and what changes I would need to make in order to give normal users write permissions on a USB device with a native Linux file system?

Also, on a slightly related note, is there a command that allows me to change the volume name of the partition that I created on the USB disk? At the moment, HAL is resolving it as 'disk', but I would like to have a proper partition label, since that would be useful for checking in scripts.

paul.