VectorLinux
November 27, 2014, 12:25:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How I made it here  (Read 1429 times)
sparkyhall
Vectorite

« on: June 08, 2008, 12:11:50 pm »

It began for me in April when I was toying with the idea of building an HTPC, a quick google came up with mythtv running on Knoppix. I downloaded this and installed on an old PC only to find I had no idea how to shutdown as I had never used Linux before but this seemed enough to spark an interest to find out more. More googling followed and led me to Ubuntu which I duly installed....wow all this for free why have I not tried Linux before? Although I was impressed it somehow felt sluggish compared to WinXP which I wasn't expecting. A friend suggested Puppy Linux which again impressed but it somehow seemed lacking and didn't quite offer what I was after. While searching the Puppy forums for a solution I noticed that several people there were using Vector Linux on their main PC. Well to cut a long story short here I am, been using Vector 5.9 now for around 3 weeks so thought I best say Hi.

A warning for anyone new to Linux....at first it may seem free but what nobody tells you is you develop an irrational desire to burn a cd of every distro you come across.
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 12:23:10 pm »

Welcome to Vector Linux sparkyhall! I think you will be impressed with the friendly community supporting VL. You may find our multimedia solutions interesting: www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com

Glad to have another happy convert to Linux. Enjoy!  Smiley

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 12:49:00 pm »

Welcome to Vector, hope you enjoy the experience.
 Smiley

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 04:44:13 pm »

A warning for anyone new to Linux....at first it may seem free but what nobody tells you is you develop an irrational desire to burn a cd of every distro you come across.

It true. it happen to me too...haha

BTW, welcome....
sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 11:33:24 am »

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I guess now I've settled on VL as my distro of choice I guess I best hit the donate button and cough up some hard earned.

Chris
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: