VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: How I made it here  (Read 1509 times)

sparkyhall

• Vectorite
How I made it here
« on: June 08, 2008, 01:11:50 pm »

It began for me in April when I was toying with the idea of building an HTPC, a quick google came up with mythtv running on Knoppix. I downloaded this and installed on an old PC only to find I had no idea how to shutdown as I had never used Linux before but this seemed enough to spark an interest to find out more. More googling followed and led me to Ubuntu which I duly installed....wow all this for free why have I not tried Linux before? Although I was impressed it somehow felt sluggish compared to WinXP which I wasn't expecting. A friend suggested Puppy Linux which again impressed but it somehow seemed lacking and didn't quite offer what I was after. While searching the Puppy forums for a solution I noticed that several people there were using Vector Linux on their main PC. Well to cut a long story short here I am, been using Vector 5.9 now for around 3 weeks so thought I best say Hi.

A warning for anyone new to Linux....at first it may seem free but what nobody tells you is you develop an irrational desire to burn a cd of every distro you come across.

Dweeberkitty

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • Multimedia Bonus Disc
Re: How I made it here
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 01:23:10 pm »

Welcome to Vector Linux sparkyhall! I think you will be impressed with the friendly community supporting VL. You may find our multimedia solutions interesting: www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com

Glad to have another happy convert to Linux. Enjoy!  :)
Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/

kc1di

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 01:49:00 pm »

Welcome to Vector, hope you enjoy the experience.
 :)
Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608

hata_ph

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • -- Just being myself --
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 05:44:13 pm »

A warning for anyone new to Linux....at first it may seem free but what nobody tells you is you develop an irrational desire to burn a cd of every distro you come across.

It true. it happen to me too...haha

BTW, welcome....

sparkyhall

• Vectorite
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 12:33:24 pm »

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I guess now I've settled on VL as my distro of choice I guess I best hit the donate button and cough up some hard earned.

Chris