VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 11:42:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: [BREAKTHROUGH!][Read 1st Post] I need to get 16-bit to work! [i810][DRI][Crash]  (Read 10970 times)
ultrasonicsite
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2008, 01:04:35 pm »

I must get this to work! Grin
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2008, 02:06:26 pm »

16 bit crashes on load. I want 16 bit. I need 16 bit. 16 bit is being mean and crashing =(

Someone said it  may have been that the framebuffer is using the 16-bit, I added vga=normal to the lilo file. (Not after append =, it wont work, but as it's own option) And I think it doesn't load framebuffer. But 16 bit still crashes. Whyyyy!

For example: startx makes the screen glitch with colorful colors and stripes and random nonsense. It basically freezes.

Back to this post....

Your current lilo should already contain a 'vga=XXXXX' statement within it.  This should be declared globally in the upper section (i.e. before operating system options).  I recommend you make the 'vga=xxx' change there and not in 'append=' (I do not think this change is effective in append).  After you've made your change and saved the file (as root), you need to run 'lilo -v' to make the changes take effect, then reboot.

Rather than setting vga=normal try something like 'vga=771' (800x600, 8-bit, 256 colors).

HTH!
newt
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: