Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: [BREAKTHROUGH!][Read 1st Post] I need to get 16-bit to work! [i810][DRI][Crash]  (Read 13360 times)

• Packager
  • Vectorite

I must get this to work! ;D

• Vectorian
Re: I think my graphics card should work faster.
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2008, 03:06:26 pm »

16 bit crashes on load. I want 16 bit. I need 16 bit. 16 bit is being mean and crashing =(

Someone said it  may have been that the framebuffer is using the 16-bit, I added vga=normal to the lilo file. (Not after append =, it wont work, but as it's own option) And I think it doesn't load framebuffer. But 16 bit still crashes. Whyyyy!

For example: startx makes the screen glitch with colorful colors and stripes and random nonsense. It basically freezes.

Back to this post....

Your current lilo should already contain a 'vga=XXXXX' statement within it.  This should be declared globally in the upper section (i.e. before operating system options).  I recommend you make the 'vga=xxx' change there and not in 'append=' (I do not think this change is effective in append).  After you've made your change and saved the file (as root), you need to run 'lilo -v' to make the changes take effect, then reboot.

Rather than setting vga=normal try something like 'vga=771' (800x600, 8-bit, 256 colors).

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]