VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Application not available to other users  (Read 1673 times)

mookav

Application not available to other users
« on: June 08, 2008, 07:05:34 pm »

Hello,

I am running VL 5.9 Standard on an Old Compaq Presario with P3 450Mhz and 384MB RAM

I installed RealPlayer10 using my root login. The application got installed correctly and it is working. I can see a menu item under multimedia menu and the plugins work.

However, when I log in as another user in the system none of the above happens. It is almost like RealPlayer10 is not installed in the system.

I am a Linux newbie. All I can guess is that is probably something related to file permissions. However, I do not know how to correct the issue.

Any suggestions are welcome

Mookav

thunderheights

Re: Application not available to other users
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 07:16:28 pm »

This is my first attempt at helping...so if I am wrong please correct...
sign in as root...find realplayer...right click...then permissions...and check execute box for user/group.
I think you can also do this by opening a terminal
su          [enter]
password [enter]

know where realplayer is located?
example: /home/youname/realplayer

type command : chmod 755 /home/yourname/realplayer  [enter]
Logout...
Then sign in as other user and it should work

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 07:20:35 pm by thunderheights »
Vector Linux 6.0   Laptop
2 GB RAM/1.9 GHz AMD Athlon X2 64/120GB HD dual booting w/ Win Vista
Vector Linux 5.9 Lite Desktop
64 MB RAM/ 754.36 MHz AMD Duron /30GB HD, (1/2 of which I'm sharing with Win XP)

exeterdad

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 05:20:11 am »

if the player was installed in /home/yourname...  It will never be found by other users.  It needs to be installed as root globally, or installed once again by the "other" user in their home dir.

thunderheights

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 09:05:57 am »

So, if it is installed in:   /root/realplayer
is  the advice I gave correct?

sign in as root...find realplayer...right click...then permissions...and check execute box for user/group.

or

by opening a terminal
su          [enter]
password [enter]

know where realplayer is located?
example: /root/realplayer

type command : chmod 755 /root/realplayer  [enter]
Logout...
Then sign in as other user and it should work

Thanks!
I'm still new...but trying to help! :)
64 MB RAM/ 754.36 MHz AMD Duron /30GB HD, (1/2 of which I'm sharing with Win XP)

exeterdad

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 10:07:32 am »

Is this a plugin? It's been awhile since I've messed with realplayer since I don't have a need for it. If it's a plugin, the standard place for the browsers to look for the plugin is /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins (global, all users).  OR in the users home directory. ./mozilla/plugins (single user). You may have to create this directory if it doesn't exist.

I wouldn't recommend letting users have access to ANYTHING installed within the root home directory.

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 11:06:28 am »

thunderheights:
Your assumption is correct, you can install a program in the root home directory and with the proper permisions, anyone would execute it. However, the standard location for programs for all users is /usr/bin, or even /usr/local/bin. The root owned programs are usually installed in /sbin or in /usr/sbin. This is a custom but not mandatory or applicable in all the cases. For example, if a program is distributed with its own libs, or needs some sub-dirs to work or files associated with the binary, I like to have it in /opt so I can keep /usr/bin clean. In this case I would put realplayer in /opt and place a symlink to /usr/bin which is in the path of all the users. It is also the custom to place in /opt the big programs like kde or open office. I extend this usage to any static binary.

HTH

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

mookav

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 09:11:05 am »

thunderheights:

Thanks for your suggestion.
I tried the steps you suggested. But i could not see realplayer in the menu list for the 'other' user.

The realplayer files are all installed under /root/realplaer folder that the installer created.

No this is not just a plug in. This is Realplayer10 application

kc1di

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 09:30:15 am »

thunderheights:
Your assumption is correct, you can install a program in the root home directory and with the proper permisions, anyone would execute it. However, the standard location for programs for all users is /usr/bin, or even /usr/local/bin. The root owned programs are usually installed in /sbin or in /usr/sbin. This is a custom but not mandatory or applicable in all the cases. For example, if a program is distributed with its own libs, or needs some sub-dirs to work or files associated with the binary, I like to have it in /opt so I can keep /usr/bin clean. In this case I would put realplayer in /opt and place a symlink to /usr/bin which is in the path of all the users. It is also the custom to place in /opt the big programs like kde or open office. I extend this usage to any static binary.

HTH

Best explaination I've heard in a long time , Thanks
Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608

thunderheights

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 11:01:52 am »

Thank you for the corrections. I forgot about the security issues regarding root.
I am a single user on a single computer, so I haven't had to worry about other users as of yet.
That is something I should have remembered and something I should be practicing more often.
The standard location(s) of where things are installed or can be installed, is also a great help.
(another thing I had not fully comprehended, until now)  :)
Your willingness to take the time to share your knowledge is very much appreciated by this noob!

bigpaws

• Vectorian
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 11:02:52 am »

When installing RealPlayer there is an option for global
installation. Which will then install RealPlayer in /opt.

Bigpaws