VectorLinux
July 31, 2014, 05:25:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: need to recruit a few good folks to get the VL word out  (Read 16436 times)
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« on: June 09, 2008, 12:49:28 am »

We are hoping to get at least three willing volunteers to broadcast vector news to their favorite linux news sites. This would only take a few minutes per day and would greatly enhance our web presence in the linux community. This is a grass roots effort and a great way you can contribute back to your community. News can be anything like howto's to release news and anything thats relevant. We need to let the world know there is a linux that doesn't  start or end with ubuntru.
 vec
kukibl
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 01:35:34 am »

Well I am already posting some VL related news on Serbian Slackware community (forums), but I will check with admin to post them on their main page. Maybe even to make some VL introduction page or topic on forum.

Also, I will try to post by end of the week Perfect Desktop tutorial on http://www.howtoforge.com/. They have some really nice Perfect Desktops tutorials for many distros, including Slack 12.

I've started this topic on VL forum and I would be grateful if someone could join me http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=6029.0.

I would be glad to help, but I am not sure that I will have enough time every day. Maybe twice a week if that's ok...? Undecided
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 01:58:09 am by kukibl » Logged
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 04:26:09 am »

I'm out.  I only come here, or wherever needed to get packages built Smiley
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 07:59:47 pm »

I could post news on http://linuxforum.ru - russian speaking linux forum(but I need to translate all news to russian, so it will take some time).
The question is:
What exactly I need to post? - There are quite a few howtos...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 08:01:36 pm by budulay » Logged

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 11:33:20 pm »

What exactly I need to post? - There are quite a few howtos...
the most common questions would be good like the wifi howto that would get attention.
I would be glad to help, but I am not sure that I will have enough time every day. Maybe twice a week if that's ok...?
Thats great!! any time at all is a real plus thank you

Please anyone else? Just add some ideas to the list to better market VL maybe someone will pick up the stick and run with it...............
Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 04:25:06 pm »

Don't ask what Vector can do for you, ask what you can do for Vector :-p

I'd like to volunteer as I think VectorLinux is under appreciated. But I know myself. I have a hard time as it is keeping up with my regular jobs. And I have more (Linux related) volunteer projects that slowly bleed to death. So I'll warn in advance. I keep my RL promises, but I tend to neglect my Internet promises. I've had only one day off the last  two weeks. So don't think less of me because of that, I warned in advance  Roll Eyes

My mind works like this:
Code:
if [ $promise = "internet" ] ; then
   renice 19 `/sbin/pidof $promise`
fi

But I have been thinking about this question. I think it's pretty vague as is. Maybe we can clarify a little on it?

Maybe first design a target audience (one or several distinct audiences). Know who we're talking about. If I may start on that?? IMHO what makes VectorLinux stand out is:
1) Speed, reliability, completeness of default applications and multi media. Also VL gives a mature platform on older hardware. For most this comes first, to me it comes second. Yet in this respect VL is good, but not unique. Might want to think of a strategy here that addresses what _does_ make Vector unique here, namely that it has all these things instead of a varied selection.
2) The SOHO distro. This is what drew me to VL in the first place. I don't know any other distro that targets specifically at that audience. That said, being a freelancer myself, I work on my laptop on clients sites regularly, I really appreciate the fast boot time of Vector. The last thing you want when you need to show a spread sheet calculation to a client is waiting while your computer boots. Again, VL is impressive.

VectorLinux has a couple of weaknesses as well. Some of them make Vector vulnerable in certain markets. Pleaase don't take me wrong. I really respect the effort and the result of 'the Vector project' but sometimes I really wished Vector was just a little more like Ubuntu. If you want to target specific audiences, IMHO you shouldn't hide this. The last thing you want is to make promises you can't keep.
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 06:48:45 pm »

I think what we need is basically someone with a really big mouth that never stops... lol . It doesn't take much to go into certain places (besides linux related sites) and yab to friends ,and everyone else who can read, about VL.

Chat rooms, online games, you name it, you can put the word in there. I know when I have a moment of time away from artwork and developing, I go into games that have chat, and I often get asked what distro I use, and then I tell them, "I use VectorLinux" .. it's not a very good feeling when the first most response is "I've never heard of that.." , that's when I get my opportunity to shine the spotlight and let them know what I know about it, I give web address, and whatever other info. I can give.

So just little things such as that, is a big help !

But we'd also like to have a few good men / women to dedicate some spare time in advertising about VL. Seems all the big dogs like Ubuntu always steal the spotlight, because they take much of their time shoving the name into everyplace and everything they can.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 06:54:10 pm »

I will continue to review Vector releases for O'Reilly and post anything else newsworthy or interesting there.  I also post all of that stuff and some of my blog entries that might be interesting to lxer.com.  A lot of my articles get picked up buy linuxtoday.com and/or linux.com. 

I don't know what more I can do....

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Xeon
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 03:51:44 am »

I'm affraid there are not many good dutch sites around. They are either never visited or just wait to big (tweakers.net for instance, I could submit news but it just won't get approval) Although I could try to put it in their meuktracker.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 04:12:30 am »

I guess one way "I" could spread the word is to notify software developers that a Vectorlinux package has been created for their application.  Often they will link to a distributions site if a package is available, or they often host it.  It might catch someone's eye when they are looking on the site for binaries. "Maybe", I dunno.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 04:21:38 am »

I guess one way "I" could spread the word is to notify software developers that a Vectorlinux package has been created for their application.  Often they will link to a distributions site if a package is available, or they often host it.  It might catch someone's eye when they are looking on the site for binaries. "Maybe", I dunno.

Great idea exeterdad, it would be nice to see VL binaries on Opera's site for instance
Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 01:55:18 pm »

Long story:

I have four different jobs (counting my freelance work as one job). One of them is in an IT department where I work eight hours per week. One of my main tasks there is switching ~180 older 2Ghz machines for thin clients. The real footwork of system administration. All the old machines are gonna be offered at bargain price to the personnel of the company. But! Without OS!

Recently I was the only one in the IT department, so I had to man the helpdesk. With time on my hands, I took one of the old boxes and installed VectorLinux on it. I just let it sit there with a post-it on the monitor telling what the passwords where. When I came back this week it turns out my colleagues had gotten curious and examined the box. Especially the server technician was very impressed. I believe he asked a total of five times which distro I had installed.

So here is what I can do:
I can ask if they think it's ok if I install VL on all boxes. There are at this moment about thirty killdisked machines just standing there waiting. There are gonna be a lot more within the foreseeable future. And the beauty, there's only three or four different models and around 80% are the exact same. So if I tune one and make an image of it, then I can install them very quickly. I believe they have net-boot in their bios, and I have a book that explains how to use that to install an image on a machine. But that's only a trivial technical matter. I need permission to do this in the bosses time. Maybe I can somehow sell this under the flag of Employee Benefits.

If that works, and I mean /if/ that works, then we might want to look in to the support question. Because that question is bound to be raised. English support by email is not gonna cut it. But we'll safe that discussion for a later date. First I need the go-ahead. I'll keep you posted.
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 02:43:38 pm »

posted about VL64 and VL SOHO at www.linuxforum.ru .
don't see a lot of enthusiasm there, yet...
will keep trying.

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 05:22:49 pm »

Seems like few peoples are interested, but the main question is:
Why VL is better than SlackWare?
I don't installed SlackWare, so, honestly, I could answer nothing...
Could someone back me and give some interesting tips, plz...
Thanks.

Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 05:32:57 pm »

Seems like few peoples are interested, but the main question is:
Why VL is better than SlackWare?
I don't installed SlackWare, so, honestly, I could answer nothing...
Could someone back me and give some interesting tips, plz...
Thanks.

More customization (looks better, is more finely tuned). Faster, has more optimization. Has control tools like VasmCC and vlwifi to make administrating the system and setting up wireless a snap. Slackware is everything plain and vanilla, Vector adds spice and life into the stability that Slackware is known for. Vector inherits Slackware's good things and makes them better, faster, and more user-friendly. Does that help any?

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: