VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 02:52:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Poll
Question: Which product should VL Solutions do now?
Server Solutions Disc - 5 (21.7%)
Gaming Bonus Disc - 8 (34.8%)
Development Solutions Disc - 6 (26.1%)
Windows to Linux migration service - 3 (13%)
Other (Please explain) - 1 (4.3%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: What's next? (Poll, please vote)  (Read 9805 times)
Dweeberkitty
Vectorian

« on: June 09, 2008, 04:10:14 pm »

Hi,

As the question states, we are trying to figure out which new product Vector Linux Solutions should offer. I have already done one, the Multimedia Bonus Disc. I recognized a problem, vis, that multimedia on Linux was a nightmare. It usually consisted of searching hundreds of forums and spending countless hours trying to find the right programs only to find that you couldn't get them compiled without twenty dependencies and even then it still didn't work. So I created the Multimedia Bonus Disc that solved the problem by providing a compilation of all of the best multimedia software applications and wrote a manual to explain how to use them easily.

What we are looking for is a problem with a possible solution. We want something that will have the widest user base and will affect the most users and benefit VL. If you want to have a say in what the next and greatest thing from VL Solutions will be, please respond. Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 02:18:47 pm by Dweeberkitty » Logged

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 04:38:41 pm »

I think it need to be Server CD.
To spread VL among business people, it need to have some cool network servicing stuff.

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
Tommy599

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 10:35:40 am »

I say gaming. Especialy small games that run on old hardware. Fun games, not necessarily 3D ones. 

Vector Linux 6.0 Light Final
Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 @ 500Mhz/128MB/20GB
Registered Linux user #470287
t599.mybrute.com <- can you defeat me?
Xeon
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 10:55:22 am »

I say none of the above ..

In fact, server solution disc is never a very good idea. Most people that run a server have the expertise to install software themself. To bring vector onto servers I think the distro first needs more hardening and more server side support inside the kernel, as sysadmins want a scalable and easy to implement solution. If you run one server, you can put effort in tweaking the installation to the max however this is a bad idea since one day you will need a new server and then you have to do all work over again. Also upgrades are a pain for vector as you will have to reinstall the distro and all of it's software. That and not the lack of server software packages is the problem for vector server side. This last one is very very very important. After one year you need to update your installation for the sake of security. You need new technology.

As far as gaming is concerned, I have never been a fan of gaming on linux. The games generally are a bit minesweeper/arcade mode, with the exception of a few decent releases for linux, although only Wolfenstein Enemy Territory can be seen as the only free game around.

Development: same story. If you want to develop on vector you either go for vi or install k(web)develop, all in the repo.

Windows to linux migration service: well, might have a potential, only I don't see that as a real task for a bonus disc, unless someone could provide me some more information
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 11:07:35 am »

I agree... I dont think you need a gaming server disc and specially a gaming disc

My theory is that most people using Linux dont spend a whole lot of time gaming (there may be some exceptions)...

If I had to suggest, I would say concentrate efforts on the VL development itself... maybe do some more work on the documentation.... get to know the ins and outs of the whole things... write good docs, turn them into a wiki... maybe a hard printed manual revised with new information...

Just my 2 cents

Xeon
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 11:14:39 am »

turn them into a wiki...

I feel the blame  Undecided .
Give me two weeks and my exams are definately over. I won't forget about that one, I promiss
/offtopic
Dweeberkitty
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 04:16:13 pm »

My theory is that most people using Linux dont spend a whole lot of time gaming (there may be some exceptions)...

Interesting statement. I ask myself why people on Linux don't do much gaming? Maybe it is too hard to find good games and the majority using Linux are geeks anyway. Maybe a gaming disc would make it really easy to get a bunch of good games installed without searching and packaging and all that. That way, people who move to Linux would still have some fun games and the Linux geeks could have some fun. Wink

I say none of the above ..

In fact, server solution disc is never a very good idea. Most people that run a server have the expertise to install software themself. To bring vector onto servers I think the distro first needs more hardening and more server side support inside the kernel, as sysadmins want a scalable and easy to implement solution. If you run one server, you can put effort in tweaking the installation to the max however this is a bad idea since one day you will need a new server and then you have to do all work over again. Also upgrades are a pain for vector as you will have to reinstall the distro and all of it's software. That and not the lack of server software packages is the problem for vector server side. This last one is very very very important. After one year you need to update your installation for the sake of security. You need new technology.

As far as gaming is concerned, I have never been a fan of gaming on linux. The games generally are a bit minesweeper/arcade mode, with the exception of a few decent releases for linux, although only Wolfenstein Enemy Territory can be seen as the only free game around.

Development: same story. If you want to develop on vector you either go for vi or install k(web)develop, all in the repo.

Windows to linux migration service: well, might have a potential, only I don't see that as a real task for a bonus disc, unless someone could provide me some more information

Thank you very much for the feedback Xeon. I'm going to have to think about what you said. The Windows to Linux migration: I was thinking that it would be something that used a program like OpenMoveOver with scripts and such that would help users move their data over to Linux and get up to speed in minimal time. It would include documentation, and of course professional support. It would be more of a service than a product.

Thanks for the ideas guys. Please, more people answer the poll. I'd like to get as many people to answer. Remember, your vote counts and you just might see the one you want produced for you. Have fun!  Smiley

Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 06:14:13 pm »

Isn't there supergamer for game addicts?

I haven't seen any of games in supergammer ported to vl repos.  Maybe it'd be a good idea to port them here, and talk to Darin about offering supergammer as a MMBD brother...

Just random ideas...

Dweeberkitty
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 06:33:14 pm »

Isn't there supergamer for game addicts?

I haven't seen any of games in supergammer ported to vl repos.  Maybe it'd be a good idea to port them here, and talk to Darin about offering supergammer as a MMBD brother...

Just random ideas...

Yes, I was kind of thinking the same thing except that supergamer is a whole distro in itself. The problem is that you have to reinstall your computer. A gaming bonus disc would allow you to play the games on your existing VL machine. Just a thought.

Dweeberkitty
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 10:44:12 am »

Please guys, I'd like more votes than just 9. The more the better. Thanks!

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 11:05:25 am »

Interesting statement. I ask myself why people on Linux don't do much gaming? Maybe it is too hard to find good games and the majority using Linux are geeks anyway. Maybe a gaming disc would make it really easy to get a bunch of good games installed without searching and packaging and all that. That way, people who move to Linux would still have some fun games and the Linux geeks could have some fun. Wink

Actually, I think the reason most people running linux dont do much gaming is because the they're too busy doing other things. Here are my theories behind this
  • User gets excited and starts developing stuff
  • User uses OS strickly for other things (multimedia, work, etc)
  • Or in the worse case scenario, the n00b can barely get basic things like office work done, can barely get around the system and whatever time he's got left he uses to ask for help or post in forums like this Wink
Just dump theories of mine

Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 12:19:58 pm »

I voted for development. It would be nice to have a wide spectrum of development tools, among others: geany, anjuta, netbeans, tcl-tk with extras (tile, tclib, etc)....

Of course I can get what I need myself but since you ask...

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 05:37:28 pm »

Although it's not in the poll, I would like to see a collection of academic/scientific packages.
Examples would be: latex stuff, lyx, kile, jabref, R, octave, gnuplot.

But really not that great in terms of "widest user base and will affect the most users"
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 11:20:11 pm »

I didn't vote because I have no opinion. Servers are something I don't know about and don't want to know about and will never enter my life. I don't do gaming. I'm not interested in developing. Getting data from Windows into Linux has never seemed like a problem to me.

I'm aware, of course, that just because I'm not interested in these things doesn't mean other people aren't.  But it's hard to have an opinion about things I know nothing about and it's rather silly to have an opinion if I don't know anything about the subject.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Dweeberkitty
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2008, 11:32:54 am »

I didn't vote because I have no opinion. Servers are something I don't know about and don't want to know about and will never enter my life. I don't do gaming. I'm not interested in developing. Getting data from Windows into Linux has never seemed like a problem to me.

I'm aware, of course, that just because I'm not interested in these things doesn't mean other people aren't.  But it's hard to have an opinion about things I know nothing about and it's rather silly to have an opinion if I don't know anything about the subject.
--GrannyGeek

LOL..............Thanks for your input GrannyGeek!  Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: