VectorLinux
November 22, 2014, 03:38:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Installation problem  (Read 2782 times)
Lloyd

« on: June 13, 2008, 12:03:06 am »

Hi,
 I am new to Vector Linux. I am trying to install VectorLinux-5.9-Standard-GOLD on a Toshiba satellite 490XCDT laptop (9 or 10 years old ) with 94MB RAM and 4GB hard disk. I have downloade the CD image and cross verified the md5 checksum given in the website and it is correct. During installation I made a ext2 partition  with 3GB size. Installation was successful in copying the file "veclinux.tlz" to the hard disk. But after that it shows me an error unable to uncompress the file, may be there is no enough disk space or the file could be corrupted. Then it has shown installation is in unknoiwn state and gave me a shell.

What could be the reason? How can I overcome this?

Thank you very much,
  Lloyd
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 07:04:37 am »

A full installation of Vector LInux 5.9 Standard will eat every bit of that 3GHz and then some.  128MB is the minimun recommended RAM.  It will run in 96MB but with your slow processor I don't think it will be much fun to use.   I don't think any of that is the problem but I'm not sure Standard is the right version of Vector Linux for you.   Your system is a much better candidate for Vector Linux Light.

When you partitioned and formatted the drive did you check the drive for bad blocks?  A bad spot on your hard drive could cause that problem.  I'd try reformatting the partition the long way with a full check.  Yes, I know that will take forever on your hardware but it will eliminate a potential cause.

Did you also create a swap partition?  You have very little memory so swap will be essential anyway.  I wonder if the installer is having memory issues.  It shouldn't at 96MB RAM but adding and enabling swap might help.  Recommended swap size is 2x physical RAM so 192MB is more than adequate.  I'd make both swap and root (/) primary partitions.

Some older Toshiba laptops have a problem with the kernel in VL 5.9 Standard.  I have a Libretto SS1010 which is about the same age and specs as yours and while the installation works fine it won't boot up afterwards with the Standard kernel.  You may want to try Light because it has two kernel choices and the IDE kernel may work better than the SATA kernel you are using which is the only choice in Standard.

Another thing I would try is rerunning the installer and reformatting the drive with xfs rather than ext2.  Even on your system xfs will likely be as fast or faster than ext2.  I haven't tried doing an install into an ext2 filesystem in a long time and I wonder if the filesystem type combined with the always interesting (OK, weird) Toshiba hardware could cause the problem.

These are just random thoughts.  If none of this works we can probably do some troubleshooting at the shell prompt when it throws you out of the installer. 

HTH,
Cait

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Lloyd

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 12:32:57 am »

Hi,
 I tried vector linux lite (stable version) and able to install it successfully. But during the installation I left the GUI configuraion step. can I do it later after loging in to tthe terminal? The reason why I left it is, the system got hanged when I chose the first option in it. (Not automatic, and it is not VESA, I forgot that option)

Thanks,
  Lloyd
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 05:16:37 am »

Yes, you can configure your hardware from the command line. Log in as root and run "vasm".
Lloyd

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 05:11:48 am »

Thanks, I tried it. But now I am using the VESA driver, and it is not looking good (neet). menu and Desktop fonts are not readable Sad  I am not able to choose other drivers, it ends up in hanging the system. What can I do? My laptop model is Toshiba Satellite 490XCDT

Thanks,
 Lloyd
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 10:11:33 pm »

Vesa definitely does NOT work on older Toshiba laptops.  fbdev likely will work.  You can also, as root, try to run vxconf to probe your video card and have VL try and find the correct settings.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

Lloyd

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 09:01:30 pm »

fbdev is not working. I configured using fbdef and when I start X it terminates with some error. Only VESA works for me partially. Fully automatic configuration just shows me the card type and all, but it does nothing. Interactive autoconfig causes the display to get weired and ends up in hanging the system. I tried vxconf as well but that too shows the same vasm screen. In which way should I move next?

Thanks,
  Lloyd
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 06:30:26 am »

Hi Lloyd, we need to find out what kind o video card that laptop has, please post the result of running lspci as root, and hopefully we will find a driver for it. Did you try the savage driver?

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 07:52:33 am »

Here is a post about this card. You can try this and see if it works
by editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

http://www.superaje.com/~andreas/4070cds-xf86config-4.txt

HTH

Bigpaws
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 12:23:24 pm »

The 4070CDS is a completely different generation of Toshiba laptop than what Lloyd has.  That xorg.conf file won't work.  He has an S3 Savage MX chipset, not a Trident.  The good news is that I went to the Linux on Laptops website and did find a page for the 490XCDT complete with an xf86config file.  The info there is for an old version of Xfree86 but it should be able to be adapted to a modern xorg.conf file.  See: http://www.antlinux.com/Toshiba490XCDT/#x_configuration

bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 12:42:48 pm »

For the S3 setup I had to recompile a kernel and edit xorg.conf

My old laptop has the S3 chip which is an HP zt1135

Bigpaws
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: