VectorLinux
July 24, 2014, 11:35:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux-5.9-SOHO-DELUXE has been released!  (Read 32126 times)
nightwinn

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2008, 03:29:49 pm »

Vector, I sent an email to the address you specified with a proof of purchase receipt for the mail bundle.  A reply was sent back with a download link to the first disk.  Thanks for the quick reply.  I was able to login to the ftp site for the download, but the download has an estimated download time of anywhere between 8 and 15 hours.  Also, the download timed out at least once.  Any thoughts?
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2008, 05:07:28 pm »

Seems it could be a possible bad link between your system and the server. But it could also be due to high traffic. These sort of things are a bit tough to pin down, sometimes.

I would recommend using a download application that supports resume. This way if you should get another time out, the application will try again, and pick up where it left off (the good ones do anyways).

nightwinn

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2008, 06:03:56 pm »

The only way I could even get access to the files on the ftp site was through Windows Explorer, not IE7.  I even tried using Filezilla.  IE7 just kept asking for the username and password even though I repeatedly entered in the correct one.  Filezilla just gave me a similar incorrect password error.  I know the login info is right because it works in Windows Explorer, but I don't know of any ftp download programs that can resume downloads from Windows Explorer.  Guess I just need to be patient and wait for the mailman.  Well, thanks for the help anyway.

Just thought to try my Kubuntu pc.  Perhaps a linux os will have better luck downloading than Windows.
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2008, 07:23:46 pm »

That's worth a shot (using the kubuntu machine). Give that a try, and let us know , please.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2008, 08:36:58 pm »

I heartily recommend using wget at the command line.  That way i you do get a timeout it will resume as many times as necessary.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2008, 08:54:58 pm »

I also recommend wget. In Windows, the Opera browser will resume downloads if the server from which you're downloading permits this. Firefox 3 is also supposed to do this. I don't know about Firefox 2.x, as I've never tried downloading a large file with it.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
LLL
Global Moderator
Vectorite

The sun is shining...

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2008, 04:13:48 am »

I heartily recommend using wget at the command line.  That way i you do get a timeout it will resume as many times as necessary.

wget URL --user=as_provided --pass=as_provided

Worked for me Smiley

LLL

Lost & Lovin' Linux...living on:
VectorLinux 6.0 with XFCE on Thinkpad T43p (2.13 GHz | 2GB | 60GB)
antman

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2008, 06:52:29 am »

Ok, I bought the 5.9 SOHO release and installed it on my Dell 400 XPS desktop. I'm used to Zenwalk (another Slackware based distro) so it shouldn't take too long to become familar with the VL way of doing things.
I just need to install the nVidia drivers on my system and I should be on my way. The MacOS theme looks very nice.

VL SOHO 5.9 and Zenwalk 5.2
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2008, 05:13:54 pm »

During setup you can install Nvidia drivers. Seems that you're already onto a desktop, where you can download the latest drivers from Nvidia and install.

You can also install the included drivers, by dropping down into run level 3 (init 3), when you're done there, you can return to run level 4 (init 4).

either way should be a breeze Smiley
antman

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2008, 01:38:22 pm »

During setup you can install Nvidia drivers. Seems that you're already onto a desktop, where you can download the latest drivers from Nvidia and install.

You can also install the included drivers, by dropping down into run level 3 (init 3), when you're done there, you can return to run level 4 (init 4).

either way should be a breeze Smiley
Yeah, I downloaded and installed nvidia's drivers and installed them. I'm currently having an issue with audio now. I fixed it once by selecting my Audigy card from within the alsamixer menu, but it forgot that setting after I rebooted my PC and now audio is just dead even after I select it from the alsamixer gui screen.
Is there an alsaconfig type program within VL?? The Alsa setup from the VL control panel doesn't even launch.

vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2008, 02:26:30 pm »

Yeah we discovered that little bug after release and will issue a patch soon. For the time being just open a terminal and type valsaconf which will launch the alsa config utility.
hth

Vec
antman

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2008, 10:38:54 am »

Yeah we discovered that little bug after release and will issue a patch soon. For the time being just open a terminal and type valsaconf which will launch the alsa config utility.
hth

Vec

I'll try it, thanks.

nightwinn

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2008, 06:43:54 pm »

Thanks for the advice earlier.  I forgot that I had rewritten the mbr to Windows 2000 default.  To access Kubuntu I would have had to use a boot disk.  Luckily, I was able to use a pc at work.  It was using Free Download Manager.  It worked like a charm in getting the isos.  I'll try to remember wget after I finish installing Vector.  Might come in handy.
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2008, 08:40:21 pm »

Good deal. Glad that you were able to download it. Now you'll have loads of Gui applications that are readily available to use for downloading (after installation of course), one of them being Kget, and another being gftp Smiley .
keyfitter

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2008, 04:07:53 pm »

Thank you for all of the work that went into 5.9 SOHO!
I installed it last Monday and so far there was only one problem, but that was easy to fix. VL-hot did not work, but HAL does. Neither worked with VL 5.9 Standard Deluxe, though.

I have had problems in the past with other distros too, and I
believe it's a motherboard issue. It's a Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: