VectorLinux
July 30, 2014, 06:55:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 080613 partimage-0.6.7 [VL59]  (Read 4480 times)
exeterdad
Vectorian

« on: June 13, 2008, 07:39:01 pm »

KC1DI has packaged partimage-0.6.7 for VL59

Package: partimage-0.6.7-i586-1vl59.tlz
MD5: a0a7ed30c598151de5079ccf50ef3b50
Package Size: 207 KIB (0.20 MB)
Installed size: 910 KIB (0.89 MB)

Sources: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/source/testing/base-apps/partimage
partimage: partimage (partimage-0.6.7)
partimage: Partimage is a Linux utility which saves partitions having a supported
partimage: filesystem to an image file. Most Linux and Windows filesystems are
partimage: supported. The image file can be compressed with the gzip / bzip2
partimage: programs to save disk space, and they can be splitted into multiple
partimage: files to be copied on CDs / DVDs, ...
partimage:
partimage:
partimage: License: GPL V2
partimage: Authors: Francois Dupoux and Franck Ladurelle
partimage: Website: http://www.partimage.org/Main_Page

After testing this package, please take a moment and come back to this thread to let us know how it works for you.
sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 03:44:28 am »

Tried this on both VL5.9 standard and VL5.9 Light Beta 5 an it's no go.

In both cases typing partimage in a terminal gives:

partimage: error while loading shared libraries: libnewt.so.0.52: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I then installed newt 0.52.2. from the repositories but I still get the same error.

One other thing worth noting is that partimage does not appear in the menus. It does on the sysrecuecd I use but I imaging that entry has been added manually.

Chris
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 04:24:10 am »

Tried this on both VL5.9 standard and VL5.9 Light Beta 5 an it's no go.

In both cases typing partimage in a terminal gives:

partimage: error while loading shared libraries: libnewt.so.0.52: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I then installed newt 0.52.2. from the repositories but I still get the same error.

One other thing worth noting is that partimage does not appear in the menus. It does on the sysrecuecd I use but I imaging that entry has been added manually.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I don't know what the problem may be it is working fine on my machine.  here.. Try installing the newt package fist then partimage that may help.   I tested it on both vl 5.9 and vl 5.9 light and it works here on both machines. 

Let me know how you make out.

Dave

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 05:56:35 am »

I tried installing newt first and that didn't help.

Hmm......I did a search for the file that partimage can't find and I can't find it either. I had a look in the newt-0.52.2-i586-1vl59.tlz and I think the problem is with this as most of the directories are empty, the only files that are present are COPYING, slack.desc and newt.SlackBuild and these are all text files.

I tried clearing the package cache and downloading a fresh copy and its still the same, in fact newt-0.52.2-i586-1vl59.tlz is only 9kB in size which I guess is far too small.

Chris
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 10:31:44 am »

Thanks Chris I will look into that and let you know.

Dave

Dave
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 11:25:32 am »

Chris do me a favor and try running partimage as root.  go to a terminal and su  enter your root password and try runing it.. after I did that the first time in VLStd it asked me from then on if I wanted to run the program as root.

Thanks Dave

Dave
sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 10:17:48 pm »

Just tried running as root and I still get the same error.

I'm fairly certain that the newt package in the repo is the problem as it's far too small and doesn't contain any useful files that I can see. I may try compiling a fresh copy myself and see where that leads me, it won't be until after work though.

Thanks for all the effort your putting in.

Chris
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 02:28:19 am »

Just tried running as root and I still get the same error.

I'm fairly certain that the newt package in the repo is the problem as it's far too small and doesn't contain any useful files that I can see. I may try compiling a fresh copy myself and see where that leads me, it won't be until after work though.

Thanks for all the effort your putting in.

Chris

Hi Again Chris,
I've checked the Newt package in the testing repository and it is fine.  works here have tried it several different ways on both VL 5.9 Std and Vl 5.9 light.  partimage is a terminal app and must be run as root in order to work properly.  the finished newt package that you get should be 9.1k.  What I don't understand just yet is why it's not being installed as a dependency of partimage. 

You might want to try removing all of newt and partimage and reinstalling them. also you will need slang perhaps there was a bad transfer. 

But they are working fine here. 

Extenderdad if you are monitoring this thread , would you double check these packages see if they work for you?
Thanks,
Dave
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 02:30:36 am by kc1di » Logged

Dave
sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 12:38:28 pm »

Hi Dave,

I tried installing partimage on a different computer with VL5.9 standard and I still get the same error.

I use Gslapt to install as I'm still rather new to linux but learning fast, perhaps you use some terminal wizardry to install, could that be why it works for you and not me?. Not one to be easily beaten I tried compiling newt but got errors that I was unable to resolve due to my lack of experience.

I then found a slackware package of newt from here http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/newt/pkg/12.0/ which I installed and now partimage works. The slackware newt package is a massive 167K so much bigger than the newt in the repository. I know you say newt in the repository is fine and should be 9.1K but if I look inside slackware newt package then I can see libnewt.so.0.52, the file partimage can't find, but I can't see this file in the vector repository newt. If you think there is anything else I should try let me know and I'll give it a go.

Perhaps someone else will be along shortly to try partimage and at least confirm if there is something wrong with the package or if it's just something I'm doing.

Thanks,

Chris
exeterdad
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 02:26:21 pm »

leeh:$ explodepkg newt-0.52.2-i586-1vl59.tlz
Exploding package newt-0.52.2-i586-1vl59.tlz to the current directory:
./
usr/
usr/doc/
usr/doc/newt-0.52.2/
usr/doc/newt-0.52.2/COPYING
usr/doc/newt-0.52.2/newt.SlackBuild
install/
install/slack-desc

Seems newt is all docs  Undecided

Dave....  a quick look at the Makefile shows that it does not support DESTDIR.  But it appears instroot can be used instead.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 02:32:49 pm by exeterdad » Logged
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 02:42:31 am »

./
usr/
usr/doc/
usr/doc/newt-0.52.2/
install/
install/slack-desc

Dave....  a quick look at the Makefile shows that it does not support DESTDIR.  But it appears instroot can be used instead.

Thanks exeterdad - Will see if I can scratch out a few minutes today some time to work on it. I don't understand though why it would work here.  strange..   Huh
Have a good day Dave

Dave
exeterdad
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 02:53:06 am »

./
usr/
usr/doc/
usr/doc/newt-0.52.2/
install/
install/slack-desc

Thanks exeterdad - Will see if I can scratch out a few minutes today some time to work on it. I don't understand though why it would work here.  strange..   Huh
Have a good day Dave

I believe it worked for you because the files were installed right on your build machine since DESTDIR was ignored Smiley
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 05:22:40 am »

I've repackage newt-0.52.2  it should now be correct. it's been uploaded to the contrib.
Thank you sparkyhall for catching this one. Extertdad thanks for your help. All that you do for us is appreciated.
I'll post a seperate announcement on the packagers board about the build.

Dave

Dave
sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 01:38:53 pm »

The thanks goes to you guys for putting all this effort in  Smiley

To be honest I'm greatfull for issues like these as it really helps me find my way around Linux. Rest assured that when the new package makes it into the repo I'll be giving it another try. I've now compiled a couple of packages myself which when I'm happy with them and I've figured out what to do I hope to submit to the repositories.

Chris
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 05:37:55 pm »

hi Chris the new newt build is in the testing repository, give it a test and see if it will work for you.
Dave  Smiley

Dave
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: