VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 12:07:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Internet Windows Software for Linux  (Read 3078 times)
Pita
Vectorian

« on: June 14, 2008, 07:23:13 pm »

I had no Internet connection with my wireless broadband for 12 days since the base station had broken down. Now to reconnect the technicians which came to the house and needed a program which is available in Windows and is called "Local Area Connection". It is an applet on the panel of Windows.

Since I am Linux pure, having no Windows, the guys had to come back the next day with a computer and Windows XP and we were then able to reconnect.

My question now: is there an equivalent program for Linux like that "local area connection" in Windows? So in case there is trouble again it could be fixed within Linux only.

Those technicians had never seen Linux.

Thanks & regards
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 07:29:10 pm »

shows they really aren't technician after all , doesn't it?
There's  currently no Linux app that has that similar gui, however there are several other apps that do have a gui which can help you get connected. check through your menu, I'm sure you'll find some, also vasmCC has a nice wireless utility.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 07:54:42 pm »

Well me wireless broadband is that Motorola Canopy. My PC is connected by the ethcard port to an antenna on the roof from where the signals are picked-up and transmitted from/to a transmitter at a base station which happens to be always a cellphone site. So I am not sure if there is a program for this kind of broadband connection in Linux.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: