VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 11:44:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector linux for old computer  (Read 3642 times)
linuxus

« on: June 17, 2008, 11:08:43 am »

Hello everybody

I have a very old computer , who have 32 mo de ram, an processor pentium 2 233mhz, and i try to installe vector linux but i don't  now what vector linux i do to install

Many forum tell me i do install vector ligth on a old computer with 32 mo of ram but the new  distribution of vector linux want 64mo of ram , have you got a mean to have the oldest distribution who use 32 mo of ram :
-the distribution      2.5 SOHO  or  or more oldest

Thank you for your help
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 03:24:37 pm »

With that kind of hardware you should stay away from standard and soho. You should stick to light.

linuxus

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 04:19:53 am »

Sorry but my english are not very good and i d'on't really understand your answer can i install ligth vector linux distribution on my old computer if i don't installe thid because my computer is to old can i have the oldestdistribution of vector linux who want 16 mo of ram

thank you and sorry
silverbirch

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 04:57:42 am »

I have an old 266 Mhz with 64 RAM and I put  vectorlite on it, the beta version, and works well.  Read this thread and it has the download link also.  I have downloaded it but not yet installed.  Good luck

http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=6363.0
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 05:02:10 am »

The older versions are available here:
http://ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/linux/distributions/vectorlinux/

If you want a copy, hurry up. They may not be available very much longer.
linuxus

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 05:03:32 am »

the installation is in processe but it very very long to install vector ligth it is normaly?

If they lost i try the oldest distribution of vector linux

thank you
silverbirch

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 05:14:51 am »

OK checked my notes.  Install to 266Mhz with 64 RAM took about two hours.  I had trouble with display initially but did get it up using vesa driver.  Hope this helps and you get it going.
linuxus

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 05:22:23 am »

ok because me ii start the installation before 12hours  and the installation is already in processe, the installation work but it is longer ^^

I have q question : I try many old distribution of linux : puppy linux, feather linux... but the problem is the video card don't work really and the screen  is to green and we don't look where the mouse is ^^ is very bad, with vector linus this problem is resolve ?

My video card is "neomagic"

thank
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 05:32:49 am by linuxus » Logged
silverbirch

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 05:34:38 am »

I am no expert.  But I use vesa for video and it works but mine is S3 Trio I think.  Try googling maybe.  I'll take a look too.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 07:46:55 am »

I think silverbirch is right - edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and change Driver to vesa and DefaultDepth to 16.
Also, RAM is incredibly cheap these days, you can probably find a recycler that will give you a 128 or 256MB stick for that machine. It would be worth your while to increase the 64MB and make it a more usable machine, IMHO...

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
linuxus

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 08:32:34 am »

ok i wait the installation finished and i see
thank you
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 11:01:36 am »

Vector Linux Light 5.9 Beta 5 will run on your machine if you have 32MB of RAM.  It won't work with 16MB.  Nothing with a current kernel and X will.  32MB is a practical minimum.  I've had problems with RC1 installing on my hardware and I'm working with nightflier to sort that out.  If the install doesn't finish with RC1 try going back to Beta 5.

If you know what type of video card you have we might be able to help you more with that. 

I should point out that the OS and desktop will work fine.  jwm consumes the least memory so you probably should choose that as your default desktop.  Some applications won't work or will be intolerably slow at 32MB.  You won't be able to use Firefox and even Opera will be terribly slow.  Dillo and lynx will be your browsers of choice from what Vector Linux offers.  The office packages, AbiWord and Gnumeric, will be a little slow but they will work fine.  Most of the multimedia stuff (xine. xmms) needs more resources than your system has.  If you need an image viewer/editor you can install xv from the repository.  It will work acceptable well at 32MB.

Good luck!

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
silentstone

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 01:11:03 pm »

There may also be some special Options you can enable in the configuration for your graphics; they would help in getting the graphics to work.  However, there are different options available depending on the driver you use, and your specific graphics card.

You can post the model of your computer, and the hardware specifications.  That would help.
dawnsboy
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 03:36:12 pm »

I have a an older Omnibook with a neomagic video card.  I have successfully installed VL on this and a couple of other computers with neomagic cards.  In most cases I have manually configured the card for best performance.  2 versions of 5.8 and 5.9 have installed on the Omnibook and configured the video card without a hitch.

I should point out that the OS and desktop will work fine.  jwm consumes the least memory so you probably should choose that as your default desktop.  Some applications won't work or will be intolerably slow at 32MB.  You won't be able to use Firefox and even Opera will be terribly slow.  Dillo and lynx will be your browsers of choice from what Vector Linux offers.  The office packages, AbiWord and Gnumeric, will be a little slow but they will work fine.  Most of the multimedia stuff (xine. xmms) needs more resources than your system has.  If you need an image viewer/editor you can install xv from the repository.  It will work acceptable well at 32MB.

This is good advice.  Lynx text browser is a very quick low resource web browser.  Dillo provides the ability to render images should it be necessary.  The Links2 variant of the Links text browser might be an option to consider since when compiled to do so it will launch either as a frames capable text browser or as graphical browser (links -g).  It is also ssl and javasript capable when compiled with those options.  Check the repositories there might be a Links2 package available there. I use the JWM desktop on my Omnibook and I have not found a reason to switch.

I think silverbirch is right - edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and change Driver to vesa and DefaultDepth to 16.
Also, RAM is incredibly cheap these days, you can probably find a recycler that will give you a 128 or 256MB stick for that machine. It would be worth your while to increase the 64MB and make it a more usable machine, IMHO...

I second that opinion.  I had a 266MHz Omnibook with 32MB of RAM originally.  I dug up a 128 MB stick from one of the online recyclers and installed it in the Omnibook for a total of 160MB.  It made a world of difference.  Have fun and keep us posted.

Custom Mini-Itx - VL6.0 Light
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: