VectorLinux
December 21, 2014, 06:04:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: new 5.9 kernel ready for testers  (Read 23018 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: June 17, 2008, 10:38:56 pm »

get it here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/kernels/kernel-2.6.25.7-i586-1vl59.tlz
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/kernels/kernel-modules-2.6.25.7-i586-1vl59.tlz

Let us know how it works for you

Uelsk8s
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 03:28:44 am »

That's too funny!!!

Still hammering out stuff on the wife's work laptop (VL5.9-Standard/Vista). Been working with the 2.6.24.3 kernel.  Had trouble with internal SD card reader modules not loading (happened on mine too, different internal reader).  Both readers worked out of the box with original VL kernel.  Anyhow, I JUST came from figuring out what module to load and setting it up, to find you've been packaging.  Smiley

I'll test this one too.  Still have a couple unknown devices that might get picked up with a newer kernel.  Heck, maybe I won't need ndiswrapper this time around?

Thanks Uel.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 05:52:26 am »

Yeay!!   More supported stuff!

No need to load modules for SD card.  lspci shows everything identified, so does lsusb. Suspend/Resume working.  Haven't set up hibernate yet so I can't test.
Still needed to use ndiswrapper.  This card should use module b43, but this chip apparently needs firmware.  Screw it.

Looks like I'll be adjusting lilo to use this one as default.
Thanks again Smiley
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 06:52:34 am »

I'll try this soon as I the sloooow download finishes. I was trying out the 2.6.24.3 and also couldn't get the SD card reader or wifi to work. The wifi normally used a bcm43xx module and worked well. With the 2.6.24.3 however, both the bcm43xx and the b43 load and it won't work. I need to google this some more, first time I heard about the b43 module.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 11:29:56 am »

Video for linux is working.  Built the uvcvideo driver/module and got the onboard webcam working on this thing.  I need to shave.

FYI Joe, with 2.6.24.3 I needed to load mmc_block or something like that for the SD card to work.  But on my laptop it seemed it was something else, using the same kernel.

I know little about the b43 module.  Apparently it's replacing bcm43xx.  I was searching my device id's and discovered I've (my wife actually) got a screwy one and took the easy way out with ndiswrapper.

This is the offending wireless card:
lspci -nn
02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 USB Controller [14e4:4315] (rev 01)

Edit: also noticed xbacklight is working out of the box, when it didn't with the earlier test kernel.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 11:33:02 am by exeterdad » Logged
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 07:02:18 pm »

Exeterdad, can you try the firmware in this tarball?
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/b43.tar.gz
just cd to /lib/firmware and extract it there
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 07:35:33 pm »

I'll give it a shot in the morning, I'm on my laptop at the moment, not hers.  And we'll be off to bed when I finish typing.  Will this firmware reside in the OS, or will it be upgrading the hardware firmware?  I'm a little squeamish about it if it's flashing the hardware or something.  That card has to be able to work with Vista.  And since it's not actually her personal laptop, she'd kill me if something went haywire.
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 07:36:38 pm »

Can I get some idea of what's changed? What has been fixed? Will this work as well on SOHO? I have had problems with firewire on SOHO and it boils down to kernel modules. If this fixes it I will need to provide this update for the MMBD. Thanks!

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 07:41:27 pm »

I'll give it a shot in the morning, I'm on my laptop at the moment, not hers.  And we'll be off to bed when I finish typing.  Will this firmware reside in the OS, or will it be upgrading the hardware firmware?  I'm a little squeamish about it if it's flashing the hardware or something.  That card has to be able to work with Vista.  And since it's not actually her personal laptop, she'd kill me if something went haywire.
That firmware resides in the OS.
it should not cause any problems with vista.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 07:43:12 pm »

Can I get some idea of what's changed? What has been fixed? Will this work as well on SOHO? I have had problems with firewire on SOHO and it boils down to kernel modules. If this fixes it I will need to provide this update for the MMBD. Thanks!
there are lots of updated drivers and fixes. You would have to read the kernel changelogs to find them all.
It should work just fine on SOHO.
the easiest way to see how it works would be to try it.

sorry i cound not be of more help,
Uelsk8s
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 07:44:55 pm »

That firmware resides in the OS.
it should not cause any problems with vista.

Thanks Uel, I'll let ya know how things turn out Smiley
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 07:47:08 pm »

Dweeberkitty...  Firewire was a issue I had with the earlier test kernel.  But though I don't have a device handy to test it at the moment, I do see improvement according to what firewire modules are loading magically, and lspci looks great.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 08:05:45 pm »

Exeterdad, can you try the firmware in this tarball?
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/b43.tar.gz
just cd to /lib/firmware and extract it there
Does this require the above kernel or will it work with the default 2.6.22.19?

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 08:11:02 pm »

that firmware is for the b43 module it should work for any kernel with that module
todds

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 10:08:17 pm »

Dear All
          I am currently running vl soho 5.9 with the 2.6.25.7 kernel and have had no issues so far,it has been very stable.

regards

todders

VL 6.0 RC3 on Athlon AMD Athlon™ 2650e Emachines D620
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: