VectorLinux
November 27, 2014, 06:06:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wireless much improved in 5.9!  (Read 1766 times)
silentstone

« on: June 18, 2008, 10:29:24 am »

Don't know what was changed where, but my Atheros-chipped Proxim pcmcia card connects first time  to the home network when running vlwifi, now that I'm on VL 5.9.  In 5.8, I always had to 'dhcpcd ath0' on a command line to get full connectivity.  Or even turn off the interface and turn it back on (plus some) to get completely online.  Very frustrating.

Thank you, thank you, thank you
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 07:56:36 pm »

I also have an atheros based card and had no problem in 5.8 using wifi-radar.   5.1 was another matter.

FWIW, there is a fully OpenSource atheros module currently under development which will be in the kernel tree soon.  After that we won't be dependent on the proprietary madwifi driver.  At that point all the atheros cards should work in all distributions using a suitable kernel.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 08:32:22 pm »

I also have an atheros based card and had no problem in 5.8 using wifi-radar.   5.1 was another matter.

FWIW, there is a fully OpenSource atheros module currently under development which will be in the kernel tree soon.  After that we won't be dependent on the proprietary madwifi driver.  At that point all the atheros cards should work in all distributions using a suitable kernel.

Get out of my brain cait! I was just reading about the driver not 10 minutes ago. Smiley

Edit: BTW I'm going to package this up, maybe tomorrow. Looks VERY interesting.
http://wicd.sourceforge.net/
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 08:34:50 pm by exeterdad » Logged
silentstone

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 07:31:05 am »

No problem for your atheros card?  Hmm, I'm thinking my card is just special, because I have trouble in some form or another with it in various distro's and networks.  Even now, that fault-free first VL 5.9 usage has become a fond memory, and it's having trouble keeping a good connection on the home network.  Think I'll just grab a long LAN cable and stick with wired for now, and replace this wireless card at the next opportunity.

But I'd like to hear more about the atheros open source driver development.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 07:53:14 am »

I've got to believe that the problem is your specific card as I know lots of people who use MadWifi drivers for Atheros based cards under Linux and they work flawlessly.  Some distros don't include MadWifi because it requires proprietary Atheros code and on those distros (i.e: Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Slackware) I've compiled MadWifi and my cards (I have two) then work perfectly as well.

Information on the new ath5k driver can be found at http://ath5k.org/wiki/About/ath5k.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
antman

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 02:56:21 am »

For me and my ipw3945 VLwifi works but it will not auto-connect after a reboot. I followed some tips with no success.
However I was determined to get WICD to work in VL since I use it in Slackware 12.1 and Zenwalk. After using the WICD Slackbuild for Slackware 12.0 and uncommenting the two patches listed in the wicd.Slackbuild file, WICD worked like a charm and autoconnects after a reboot.  Grin

WICD and VL make a great combo for wireless users.  Wink

VL SOHO 5.9 and Zenwalk 5.2
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: