VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 07:54:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gwenview?  (Read 1708 times)
kukibl
« on: June 19, 2008, 07:45:47 am »

Could someone package gwenview for SOHO/Std KDE users? It integrates nicely into Konqueror and it is quite practical for picture viewing.

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gwenview/gwenview-1.4.2.tar.bz2 - source

VgnFrnd

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 07:27:34 am »

I like gwenview. I second the request.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 09:07:51 am »

I'm ready to package it and even made the build script.
I've been reluctant because the kde dependencies it has were built against the newer version of kdelibs (3.5.9), which in turn carries loads of dependencies.

This means that to install gwenview, the user has to upgrade kdelibs, install arts, upgrade qt, install mysql, and enable the testing repository.
Plus, I have to install all this stuff as well on my clean packaging partition  Tongue

I've been thinking if it is worth it.... another solution would be to compile those dependencies (libkipi, I think) against the stock 3.5.8, and put it in the repo increasing the build number....

I dunno. If you guys think it makes sense for a program to require so much stuff even when it doesn't depend on it, I guess I could go forward with it.
I would prefer building libkipi again though, but I'm not sure if it's appropriate now, as it has been in the repo for a while.
VgnFrnd

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 09:39:59 am »

Wow. Gwenview sounds like an awkward package. I'll defer to the more knowledgeable.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 09:44:44 am »

I think the problem is that there are several kde packages (like said libkipi that gwenview wants) that were built against 3.5.9, and it's that upgrade that carries quite a lot with it.
At least, that seemed to be the situation last time I checked.

VgnFrnd

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 06:06:04 am »

When I woke up this morning, I think I understood this: Gwenview itself doesn't have a lot of dependencies, but its dependencies have several others that trigger a cascade of updates, right?
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 07:11:58 am »

Right.  Smiley

I might be wrong, but I think that is the situation... on a fresh 5.9 Standard install.
It might be that people have already upgraded, but on a fresh install it seems to carry all that stuff with it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: