VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Pkg Request: i8k driver and its bretheren (Utils, etc)  (Read 1878 times)

overclockedmind

Pkg Request: i8k driver and its bretheren (Utils, etc)
« on: August 07, 2008, 08:01:39 am »

I would really appreciate a i8k package that will let me run and control the fans on this Dell Latitude C600. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Joshua

kc1di

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16
Re: Pkg Request: i8k driver and its bretheren (Utils, etc)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 03:14:05 am »

I took a look at i8k but it's only for windows theire is a linux program by the same author called dellfand.  It's a commandline tool I packaged it but have not dell laptop to try it out on however you should definately down load the program and give it a try the web page is at
http://dellfand.dinglisch.net/
simply download and follow the instructions on the web page.  Don't think it needs to be in the repository as many will not need it.
Cheers
Dave
Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 07:07:08 am »

The sources are here: http://people.debian.org/~dz/i8k/i8kutils_1.25.tar.gz
According to the README, the kernel driver is included.

HTH
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

overclockedmind

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 07:13:14 am »

Appreicate the command line util and the nod in the direction of the sources, reading from the Debian info just a bit, I found the modules are there already; so i can get the utilities up and going, or the gkrellm plugin built. Thanks so much for all the assistance!

-- Joshua

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 07:24:22 am »

You are welcome, I was coming back to tell you the same :), I just found the kernel driver is in the VL config:

root:# zcat /proc/config.gz | grep I8K
CONFIG_I8K=m
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!