VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Raid, the revenge  (Read 1755 times)

Xeon

• Vectorite
Raid, the revenge
« on: June 24, 2008, 08:26:52 am »

Hi.

I am currently trying to get VL64 in position.
My new pc uses 2 discs in a raid array (intel mobo controller). (SATA discs). The full thing is currently occupied by vista so my roadmap was: claim some space for linux partitions, then set them up.

Usually I do this with with sysresccd but the old version didn't want to boot and the new one doesn't want to run gparted (as I am in console) anyone ideas on how to run a partition utility that actually works? That would solve everything.

so i booted the vector 64 bit cd. Now, I wanted resize to work but it says no ext2 or fat partitions found (i guess, its ntfs), and fdisk is even more weird: it wants me to choose /dev/hda or /dev/hdb (while they are one volume).

How can I boot the cd with raid working? I guess when trying to install it will also get confused.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Raid, the revenge
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 08:35:12 am »

I have seen this behavior with on-board RAID that is not a true hardware controller, but rather software driven IDE/SATA controllers.

Have you been able to see and manipulate this array before when using Linux?

Xeon

• Vectorite
Re: Raid, the revenge
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 08:51:34 am »

No, i have just got the pc today :s