VectorLinux
October 23, 2014, 06:09:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: 080625 mozilla-firefox-3.0 [VL59]  (Read 7569 times)
exeterdad
Vectorian

« on: June 25, 2008, 11:37:21 am »

Vector has packaged mozilla-firefox-3.0 for VL59

Package: mozilla-firefox-3.0-i586-2vl59.tlz
MD5: a1bcf3c7ed843e9d8288d1f2676419f0
Package Size: 7,174 KIB (7.01 MB)
Installed size: 25,050 KIB (24.46 MB)

Sources: unavailable at this moment.
mozilla-firefox: mozilla-firefox (Mozilla Firefox Web browser)
mozilla-firefox:
mozilla-firefox: This project is a redesign of the Mozilla browser component written
mozilla-firefox: using the XUL user interface language.  Firefox empowers you to
mozilla-firefox: browse faster, more safely and more efficiently than with any other
mozilla-firefox: browser.
mozilla-firefox:
mozilla-firefox: Visit the Mozilla Firefox project online:
mozilla-firefox:   http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/
mozilla-firefox:
mozilla-firefox:

After testing this package, please take a moment and come back to this thread to let us know how it works for you.
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 11:46:18 am »

Thanks Vector we appreciate it .going to install now.

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
exeterdad
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 11:53:25 am »

Forgot to mention that I've had it installed and have been exploring all the doo-dads.  Runs well for me.  I'm thinking it loads faster too.  Especially very first load.

Nice work Vec Smiley
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 01:13:11 pm »

I installed it today on the Celeron desktop and ran it for a while. So far, so good. I don't have any extensions and I didn't try fancy stuff like Flash or MPlayer. I'll try Firefox 3 on the laptop tonight.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 01:17:51 pm »

so far so good on the desktop with 5.9 Std.

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
toothandnail
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 03:18:05 pm »

Works well for me. Certainly seems to load faster. Its the first version of Firefox that I've liked for a long time.

Only (minor) problem is the name change - since its mozilla-firefox, the remains of the earlier version are left behind unless it is uninstalled first.

paul.
wph

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 10:50:06 pm »

How does one install this. I don't see it in the repository?

thx
toothandnail
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 12:10:42 am »

How does one install this. I don't see it in the repository?

thx

You need to enable the testing repo. Its not enabled in Gslapt by default.

paul.
hata_ph
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 07:08:10 am »

Only (minor) problem is the name change - since its mozilla-firefox, the remains of the earlier version are left behind unless it is uninstalled first.

Is that ok?
exeterdad
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 07:24:28 am »

Is that ok?
There won't be any conflicts.  All firefox files with the exception of /usr/bin/firefox are contained in unique firefox folders in /usr/lib/firefox-XXX.  /usr/bin/firefox is overwritten.

The worst that will happen is a bunch of files in /usr/lib will be left behind.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 07:26:32 am by exeterdad » Logged
hata_ph
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 07:43:00 am »

It would be nice to make the package name more standard with the previous firefox name at VL repo. With the new name I cannot upgrade it with gslapt. Just my opinion..... Tongue
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 01:14:31 am »

Working fine so far.
Only one thing: I don't seem to get anything in Edit > Preferences > Applications, even after I have made choices about what to do with certain types of files.
The choices stick and become automatic, but they don't appear in Applications, so the associations cannot be changed or removed later....

Anyone else has the same problem?

Thank you.
exeterdad
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 03:17:58 am »

Haven't noticed that yet. But I do seem to have Firefox freeze-ups when using flash. I can't duplicate it. It just happens. If I browse Youtube enough or any other flash site, it will happen. It's been happening awhile, just thought I'd sit on it a bit and see if someone else has noticed.

I guess not.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 03:24:54 am »

Oh, but I have Exeterdad, just thinking the same thing Smiley. Sites that never crashed before now kill firefox. I removed ff3 because of this, and went back to 2. I can live with Youtube crashing every now and then, but there's so much more sites that cause ff3 to crash.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
exeterdad
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 03:35:03 am »

Thanks for confirming. At least I know I have a bit of sanity. You're right about sites NOT crashing it with earlier Firefox, that are crashing it now.
Me thinks I will assure that FF 2.xx is still available in the repos for a while.

I haven't reverted yet since my FF2 links and cookies were converted by FF3 from flat files to a sql-lite database.  Haven't taken the time to convert them back to slip into FF2 again. Found some links on how to do it via the command line, but they didn't work for me.

To be honest, I can't think of any new features of FF3 that I'm actually using. So nothing would be missed other then the increased loading speed.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: