VectorLinux
July 23, 2014, 03:59:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum is Back  (Read 22160 times)
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« on: June 27, 2008, 11:08:29 pm »

Yet another hack so we have moved to a high priced site with more security. We have restored most but maybe your avatar is missing will try and fix any other anomalies let me know.................Smiley
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 11:11:04 pm »

thanks god.... Smiley
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 02:34:17 am »

Thanks for the fast work.. and great to have the forum back.

Wish those who are hacking would get a life.

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 11:45:30 am »

Hey, the forum loads faster Smiley

We were preparing since the last issue. I'll note though, that if it weren't for the great and wise one that we call vector, who made a last minute backup of the forum, it probably would be missing  a lot of posts. I believe he did that just in a nick of time. So let's all toast our glasses to vector on that Smiley

Hope the smileys and avatars will be up and running again soon. At least the important stuff is here Smiley

edit:
WOW, looky here, they're working  Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
so emotional...  Grin
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 12:16:46 pm by Masta » Logged
dawnsboy
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 01:48:25 pm »

When you're good you're good!  Cool

Yet another hack so we have moved to a high priced site with more security. We have restored most but maybe your avatar is missing will try and fix any other anomalies let me know.................

Time to get off my wallet and help out a little bit.  Wink

Custom Mini-Itx - VL6.0 Light
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 06:22:12 pm »

When you're good you're good!  Cool

Yet another hack so we have moved to a high priced site with more security. We have restored most but maybe your avatar is missing will try and fix any other anomalies let me know.................

Time to get off my wallet and help out a little bit.  Wink

Very Honorable. I would like to encourage others to as well.
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 10:35:00 pm »

10 MickeyMouse-coins donated via PayPal.
Good job on the last-minute backup-job!

<Lame sig>
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 03:13:40 pm »

I appreciate the fact that the forum is back and was reconfigured so quickly however since the last move it has been very upredictable and very very slow at times.  today at one point it would not load at all.

any prognosis on when and if it will be back to normal?

thanks for all the work your doing on it.
Dave

Dave
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 06:55:05 pm »

I have to echo kc1di's comment pretty much word for word.  I'm grateful we still have a home. And am aware the ultimate solution is likely out of our budget. I swear if I could, I'd purchase us a dedicated server. Or at least lease one. 
But I'm having the worst luck connecting to the forum. I find myself checking known working links to find out if it's on my end or not.  What's the hardest for me is posting the announcements for new packages.  My handy dandy script will just fail.  The timeouts are too long no matter what I try to adjust.  Posting them by hand is very time consuming, and I have yet to successfully post one.  It's likely this post I'm typing now won't go through without many try's.  And I've learned to save all my text just in case the post fails and I lose it all.
What's more frustrating is I've seen posts elsewhere that the board is working fine for people.  Is it possible kc1di and I are the only ones affected and for some reason our location doesn't seem to like the new host?  After all, he and I are in NE USA.

Just browsing the board for me is exhausting. A click on a link is taking at best 20 seconds to start loading, and 5 minutes or more in worst cases.  Well....  that's if it loads at all.  My little role of posting packages, editing packagers threads, and cross referencing package related posts involve many clicks.  I'm pulling my hair out. Since as many of you know it may seem like I'm on the board all day long, I'm actually popping on for a minute or two all day long while carrying on with my hectic personal life.  I'm sure it would be entertaining, if not ridiculous to watch. So spending all those minutes attempting to load pages and failing is causing me not to even bother.

How would a fundraiser for a server solution sound to you guys/girls? There are several online solutions for fundraisers.  A goal is set, people donate. The money raised and donors are very public and is secure. I would find a way to donate to the cause.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 07:31:21 pm »

I'm in Oklahoma and I too have had similar experiences as kc1di and exeterdad. Right now things seem to be going okay but for the last several days I don't come around often as it is very tedious.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 08:01:20 pm »

I too have had some of these issues. I am considering bluehost.com and ipower.com as hosts. Uel runs his family business from ipower www.fullsystemsinc.com and bluehost.com seems to have great bandwidth deals. As much as I would like to rent a dedicated server unless we have a monthly financial commitment from a few or a lot prolly not going to happen for the moment.  We are running on masta's server for supergamer.org at the moment and their organization is spending big money on that so not sure why the slowness. We apparently will not be able to host the forum on the same server as the website do to the website residing on a zope server and there is no support for the forum software. So those with speed issues check out uels personal site if it comes up fast may go that route. If anyone has any experience with bluehost.com let us know.

cheers,
Vec
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 08:17:19 pm by vector » Logged
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 03:30:59 am »

I too have had some of these issues. I am considering bluehost.com and ipower.com as hosts. Uel runs his family business from ipower www.fullsystemsinc.com and bluehost.com seems to have great bandwidth deals.

The page from Ipower loads super fast.  But don't of course know how it would do with a forum.

Dave
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 10:31:22 am »

I am unsure of the speed issue. I am further NE of exeterdad's location and most of the time I am not having an issue, however on an occasion I do experience some slowness. The SuperGamer forums are also hosted on this same host, and there doesn't seem to be such an issue with the SG's forum. I suspect that might be due to the differences in the amount of traffic of the two? (which could be weird because our host is always offering us "specials" on getting "more traffic" , and I can't see why they would if it's a traffic issue)

I will be contacting the host for some assistance over this issue, but it will be after the 4th's weekend.

We do pay a lot for this host, and they have been good to us, so I am sure that they will be able to assist us on clearing this up.

Now with that aside, I would recommend either of Vec's solutions, especially the bluehost one (if it works better for everyone), as they do offer a bit more than the SG's host does, but I cannot verify their performance on an actual web service.
  My recommendation is because it would be better to have all of the VL stuff into one domain.

P.S.
On behalf of the SuperGamer, I apologize for the performance issues. Second I would like to mention that it is an honor for the SuperGamer to be able to give something back to VectorLinux for their support on the SG, and giving some space / bandwidth for the VL forum is the least that could be done to show some appreciation.
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 11:24:49 am »

Thank you Masta for all you do for Vector and the forum. It's appreciated.  I wish I were in a position to be of more help with the financial asspect of the need but unfortunately I can not be of help in that way at the moment.  Maybe someday.. In the mean time I will help in any way I can and thank those who can give to Vector Linux.

Dave
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 11:52:29 am »

Masta, it seems to me to be a mySQL issue rather then a bandwidth thing.  I've received many database connection errors that appear to be generated by SMF.  And often 500 internal server errors as well.  Not messages generated by the actual web server. But custom error pages from SMF.  Though one time I recall a message with a full "home" path that I recognize as a real server error message. Although, I don't recall what it was about. Often when things are working poorly for me, I can load the front page of Supergamer instantly.  But have also tried to load your SMF board and it would fail.  It seems unlikely to me that two separate SMF boards could be corrupt at the same time.  But they do share a database in common.  Thus my logic.
HTH
Lee
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: