VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Non-root user's group GID number doesn't stick when creating new files  (Read 1462 times)

silentstone

On initial VL5.9 standard install, I created a non-root user, and it was automatically assigned to 1000:1000 uid:gid.  Later, I wanted to change the ID numbers to 1001:1001, but keep the names.  I logged in as root to ensure that user 1000 wasn't logged in or their personal files weren't in use.  Then, ran "usermod -u 1001 [user-name]" and "groupmod -g 1001 [group-name]"  Then changed directory to /home/[user-name], and used "chown -R --from=:1000 :1001 ./*"

All my user's files and folders were alright.  But, sometimes when I created new files/folders, the GID 1000 got assigned again.  Seeing this, I ran "groups" as that user and got an error about 1000 being the user's group, but that number not being assigned. (I forget the exact wording).  In /etc/group, the line for that user's group had the correct number assigned, but no user's listed.  So I added the user's name to that line in the file, saved it, then opened the group shadow file, and saw a line for the relevant group, but there was an exclamation mark, too.  Left this alone.

The username is okay, but the user's group number is a problem.