VectorLinux
November 27, 2014, 12:03:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lightweight Thunderbird email client alternatives, need convert saved mail  (Read 7254 times)
silentstone

« on: June 30, 2008, 04:44:28 pm »

I would love to view my old saved email, and download the new for viewing offline.  But Thunderbird is a little too resource-hungry for my downgraded laptop.  Are there alternative clients that would allow me to view/convert/import my Thunderbird mailboxes, maybe even POP email account settings?  I have VL 5.9 Standard, and there aren't any email clients installed yet.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 04:49:44 pm »

Dave packaged claws-mail, which is very impressive. It is a full featured mail client extensible via plugins and uses very few resources. Initially used to be the sylpheed development version. About standard, It has Seamonkey mail and Opera mail by default iirc.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 06:37:28 pm »

I second the motion on Sylpheed Claws. It is a very fast, lightweight and easy to use email client.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 02:21:18 am »

You may want to wait a few days I plan to package Claws-Mail 3.5.0 for VL 5.9 today if I get time. It's the latest release. Though 3.4.0 works well also.
Cheers!
 Dave

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
silentstone

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 03:09:51 am »

Thank you for the suggestions!

Opera browser so impresses me with its lightness, speed, and keyboard control, but I was leery of potentially bogging down performance with email-handling.  But, importing Thunderbird account settings and mailbox was incredibly easy and quick!  And the interface makes some things convenient.  Still, I worry about slowing down Opera:  I deeply rely on it as a featherweight-yet-featureful graphical web browser.  So I look forward to trying Sylpheed Claws.  I found claws-mail and many plugins for it in the testing repo.  I hope it's stable enough.

Many, many thanks
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 06:51:31 am »

Still, I worry about slowing down Opera:  
Yes, it will slow down on you if you use it like I do (for browsing email, feeds and Usenet). The mail/news database can get VERY large and delelting emails does not seem to reduce its size. Eventually boot times in Opera seem to get longer and longer, although it is still a fast browser - it is just the boot time that increases. This is my experience, I have yet to solve the problem but I do think there is a bug in the mail database thing....

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
silentstone

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 10:34:23 am »

Thank you for the help!  I'm now working with Claws-Mail 3.4.0 (just missed the upgrade in the repo).  Since it has a feature set pretty similar to Thunderbird's, it's very easy to figure out.  Although, its versatility led to a mishap with folders.  And I converted each mailbox separately (tedious, tedious), before realizing that there was a script on the claws-mail website to take care of all of them at once.  Whoops.

But it's light on the resources, and compatible.  So, I'm happy.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: