VectorLinux
December 20, 2014, 07:41:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is VL6 coming soon?? [Cleared]  (Read 2229 times)
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« on: July 02, 2008, 04:31:39 am »

Is VL6 coming soon as I saw some packages are build with xxx-1vl60.tlz......
Just wondering... Tongue
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 09:30:06 am by hata_ph » Logged
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 06:07:15 am »

Soon? Probably not.  Being worked on now? Yes.
VL5.9 work was started about this time last year.  VL5.9 Standard didn't go "Gold" until around Christmas. These things take time Smiley
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 07:19:54 am »

So for package that end with 1vl60.tlz is for VL59 or VL6?
Quite confusing for me...Tongue
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 07:40:02 am »

Where are you seeing these packages? There are many moving through the packagers board for VL6.0, and if you look in the current repo you will see lots more.  If you are seeing packages in the 5.9 repo with 1vl60 they will be fine.  They were built with VL5.9 base.  For some reason last year there was confusion in the beginning. Some packagers thought we were working on VL6.0 at that time.  But by the time it was clarified, it was too late to rename those packages since so many packages were built against them and then had them as deps.

As far as the new packages are concerned.  I wouldn't try installing them in your VL5.9 XXX.  They might work fine.  But not worth the risk in my opinion.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 08:18:37 am »

Where are you seeing these packages? There are many moving through the packagers board for VL6.0, and if you look in the current repo you will see lots more.  If you are seeing packages in the 5.9 repo with 1vl60 they will be fine.  They were built with VL5.9 base.  For some reason last year there was confusion in the beginning. Some packagers thought we were working on VL6.0 at that time.  But by the time it was clarified, it was too late to rename those packages since so many packages were built against them and then had them as deps.

As far as the new packages are concerned.  I wouldn't try installing them in your VL5.9 XXX.  They might work fine.  But not worth the risk in my opinion.
IMO this would be a great reason to skip version number 6.0 all together, and get this stuff over with. If you get a package for 6.0 that says 6.0 but it was built for 5.9 you can't be blamed for thinking it was built for your system.

Version numbers are meant to give clarity, not confusion. So 5.9 was meant to be 6.0 later. So what, the version number in the packages is wrong. We can skip 6.0 call it 7.0 (or whatever). The damage can be fixed now, every day we wait more packages may be built for the next VL and it will be harder to fix. Or do we plan to continue this madness?

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 08:57:57 am »

That's a good point.  But to do what you suggested would already involve MUCH redoing.  Yikes!  Wish we could of considered this a while ago.

BTW...  The Headacher... 2 most posts and you'll see your "Easter Egg". Smiley
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 09:51:31 am »

Another solution would be, if you are using 5.9 use the 5.9 repository and trust in everything that comes from there. And the same once 6.0 is released, just use the 6.0 repo and you will be safe. Agreed all the packages for 5.9 should have 5.9 on the name.
Anyway, I think hata_ph saw those packages in the packagers board. Maybe this topic should be moved there.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 04:58:27 pm »

Anyway, I think hata_ph saw those packages in the packagers board. Maybe this topic should be moved there.

Yup, I saw some new packages announced for VL6. So that why I am wondering is VL6 coming soon as I know the usual release date for VL is around Christmas......
I do agree with what rbistolfi suggest as it is less confusing for newbie like me.....
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 06:57:58 pm »

Well obviously there has been no public word of a VL6 being ready or any time soon Smiley
If you saw that information on the packagers' board, it should stay on the packagers board Wink

normal repository for 5.9 is fine, and there shouldn't be any confusion on a package you see listed there from slapt-get or gslapt . Wordings I've seen above can lead new users / visitors into fear, and over nothing.
SO we leave the 6.0 stuff where we got it from. If we get it from the developers sections it belongs --in the developers section and not into the public forums. This will save both confusion and unnecessary fear.

P.S. Much of the stuff for 6.0 (and even some packages) are "Dynamite" .
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 09:31:05 pm by Masta » Logged
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 09:21:38 pm »

I will just clarify a few things so no confusion. A) things in the 5.9 repo will work for the 5.9 release no matter the nomemclature. B) We have started work on the 6.0 release and we are making packages for it so that the release and packages will be available at the same time. C) we have a current repo which is where we are doing the 6.0 work and placing packages if you wan't to test these then you need to install one of our dynamite releases in the current iso-test folder. All of this work is based on slack 12.1 and newer so if you experiment with your 5.9 install you will break things guaranteed. D) Those that want to live on the edge are encouraged to try a dynamite install and play. If you like what you see then gives us feedback what else you would like to see etc. I am trying to move the release schedule up a bit (4 months) so that it why you are seeing lots of early activity. So please help us to make 6.0 the best it can be but don't hose your stable system by playing with fire.
 Cheers,
Vec
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 09:29:35 am »

OK. Thanks all for your clarification........keke
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: