VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 04:20:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Perplexed about touchpad sensitivity on IBM T42 (SOLVED)  (Read 2930 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« on: July 01, 2008, 10:39:32 pm »

The touchpad sensitivity problems of the T42 (and from my experience the Omnibook 6000) and, possibly from any of the Synaptics touchpads, are, I am discovering, legendary.  And, I gather, T42 touchpad sensivity is more of a problem on Vector machines than on some other flavors of linux.  At least that's what a friend who has another linux running on his T42 (and, he says, without touchpad problems) told me tonight.  Anyway, after several pretty linux-knowledgeable people played with it, the consensus was that I should either turn off the touchpad in bios or use another flavor of linux.  I can't be constantly opening programs I don't want to open and inputting data where I don't want it inputed.  I chose to turn off the touchpad and now have to use the little stick in the middle of the keyboard to navigate.  Too bad.

I am using Vector standard 5.9 on the T42.  If there is anyone who has solved this problem on the T42, I would appreciate hearing about it. I would love to prove my friend wrong.  I am about to fire up my old Omnibook 900 again as its touchpad was rock solid on Vector 5.8.

John
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 10:58:22 pm by sledgehammer » Logged

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 07:31:29 am »

Hi John. The synaptics driver for linux has a lot of options, you will need to edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf to tke advantage from them. First, do a backup of the existing one just in case; as root:

Code:
cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup

Then open the file with your favorite text editor, for example, always as root:

Code:
mousepad /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Now find the touchpad configuration section, should be something like:

Code:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
EndSection

Add two lines to it, like this:

Code:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "MaxTapMove" "10"
Option "SHMConfig" "on"
EndSection

The "MaxTapMove" value should be the key, play with the values until you get the desired effect. 0 means insensitive touchpad. Save the file and restart the X server closing all the windows and pressing Ctrl + Alt + Backspace at the same time. You need to do that each time you change the config.

The driver has a lot of options you can use to make the touchpad to work as you like it. Check the manual page for detailed info (man synaptics):

SHMConfig (Bool)
              Switch on/off shared memory for configuration.

LeftEdge (Integer)
              X coordinate for left edge.

RightEdge (Integer)
              X coordinate for right edge.

TopEdge (Integer)
              Y coordinate for top edge.

BottomEdge (Integer)
              Y coordinate for bottom edge.

FingerLow (Integer)
              When finger pressure drops below this value, the driver counts it as a release.

FingerHigh (Integer)
              When finger pressure goes above this value, the driver counts it as a touch.

FingerPress (Integer)
              When finger pressure goes above this value, the driver counts it as a press.  Currently a press is equivalent to putting  the  touchpad  in
              trackstick emulation mode.

MaxTapTime (Integer)
              Maximum time (in milliseconds) for detecting a tap.

MaxTapMove (Integer)
              Maximum movement of the finger for detecting a tap.

MaxDoubleTapTime (Integer)
              Maximum time (in milliseconds) for detecting a double tap.

ClickTime (Integer)
              The duration of the mouse click generated by tapping.

FastTaps (Bool)
              Makes the driver react faster to a single tap, but also makes double clicks caused by double tapping slower.

VertEdgeScroll (Bool)
              Enable vertical scrolling when dragging along the right edge.

HorizEdgeScroll (Bool)
              Enable horizontal scrolling when dragging along the bottom edge.

CornerCoasting (Bool)
              Enable edge scrolling to continue while the finger stays in an edge corner.

VertTwoFingerScroll (Bool)
              Enable vertical scrolling when dragging with two fingers anywhere on the touchpad.

HorizTwoFingerScroll (Bool)
              Enable horizontal scrolling when dragging with two fingers anywhere on the touchpad.

VertScrollDelta (Integer)
              Move distance of the finger for a scroll event.

HorizScrollDelta (Integer)
              Move distance of the finger for a scroll event.

EdgeMotionMinZ (Integer)
              Finger pressure at which minimum edge motion speed is set.

EdgeMotionMaxZ (Integer)
              Finger pressure at which maximum edge motion speed is set.

EdgeMotionMinSpeed (Integer)
              Slowest setting for edge motion speed.

EdgeMotionMaxSpeed (Integer)
              Fastest setting for edge motion speed.

EdgeMotionUseAlways (Bool)
              If on, edge motion is also used for normal movements.  If off, egde motion is used only when dragging.

Repeater (String)
              Repeater device.

MinSpeed (Float)
              Minimum speed factor.

MaxSpeed (Float)
              Maximum speed factor.

AccelFactor (Float)
              Acceleration factor for normal pointer movements.

TrackstickSpeed (Float)
              Speed scale when in trackstick emulation mode.

PressureMotionMinZ (Integer)
              Finger pressure at which minimum pressure motion factor is applied.

PressureMotionMaxZ (Integer)
              Finger pressure at which maximum pressure motion factor is applied.

PressureMotionMinFactor (Integer)
              Lowest setting for pressure motion factor.

PressureMotionMaxFactor (Integer)
              Greatest setting for pressure motion factor.

UpDownScrolling (Bool)
              If on, the up/down buttons generate button 4/5 events.  If off, the up button generates a double click and the down button generates a but-
              ton 2 event.

LeftRightScrolling (Bool)
              If on, the left/right buttons generate button 6/7 events.  If off, the left/right buttons both generate button 2 events.

UpDownScrollRepeat (Bool)
              If on, and the up/down buttons are used for scrolling (UpDownScrolling), these buttons will send auto-repeating 4/5 events, with the  delay
              between repeats determined by ScrollButtonRepeat.

LeftRightScrollRepeat (Bool)
              If  on, and the left/right buttons are used for scrolling (LeftRightScrolling), these buttons will send auto-repeating 6/7 events, with the
              delay between repeats determined by ScrollButtonRepeat.

ScrollButtonRepeat (Integer)
              The number of milliseconds between repeats of button events 4-7 from the up/down/left/right scroll buttons.

EmulateMidButtonTime (Integer)
              Maximum time (in milliseconds) for middle button emulation.

EmulateTwoFingerMinZ (Integer)
              For touchpads not capable of detecting multiple fingers (Alps), this sets the Z pressure threshold to emulate a two finger press.

TouchpadOff (Integer)
              Switch off the touchpad.  Valid values are:

0   Touchpad is enabled
              1   Touchpad is switched off
              2   Only tapping and scrolling is switched off

GuestMouseOff (Bool)
              Switch on/off guest mouse (often a stick).

LockedDrags (Bool)
              If off, a tap and drag gesture ends when you release the finger.  If on, the gesture is active until  you  tap  a  second  time,  or  until
              LockedDragTimeout expires.

LockedDragTimeout (Integer)
              This  parameter  specifies  how long it takes (in milliseconds) for the LockedDrags mode to be automatically turned off after the finger is
              released from the touchpad.

RTCornerButton (Integer)
              Which mouse button is reported on a right top corner tap.  Set to 0 to disable.

RBCornerButton (Integer)
              Which mouse button is reported on a right bottom corner tap.  Set to 0 to disable.

LTCornerButton (Integer)
              Which mouse button is reported on a left top corner tap.  Set to 0 to disable.

LBCornerButton (Integer)
              Which mouse button is reported on a left bottom corner tap.  Set to 0 to disable.

TapButton1 (Integer)
              Which mouse button is reported on a non-corner one-finger tap.  Set to 0 to disable.

TapButton2 (Integer)
              Which mouse button is reported on a non-corner two-finger tap.  Set to 0 to disable.

TapButton3 (Integer)
              Which mouse button is reported on a non-corner three-finger tap.  Set to 0 to disable.

CircularScrolling (Bool)
              If on, circular scrolling is used.

CircScrollDelta (Float)
              Move angle (radians) of finger to generate a scroll event.

CircScrollTrigger (Integer)
              Trigger region on the touchpad to start circular scrolling

0   All Edges
              1   Top Edge
              2   Top Right Corner
              3   Right Edge
              4   Bottom Right Corner
              5   Bottom Edge
              6   Bottom Left Corner
              7   Left Edge
              8   Top Left Corner

CircularPad (Bool)
              Instead of being a rectangle, the edge is the ellipse enclosed by the Left/Right/Top/BottomEdge parameters.  For circular touchpads.

PalmDetect (Bool)
              If palm detection should be enabled.  Note that this also requires hardware/firmware support from the touchpad.

PalmMinWidth (Integer)
              Minimum finger width at which touch is considered a palm.

PalmMinZ (Integer)
              Minimum finger pressure at which touch is considered a palm.

CoastingSpeed (Float)
              Coasting threshold scrolling speed.  0 disables coasting.

SingleTapTimeout (Integer)
              Timeout after a tap to recognize it as a single tap.

GrabEventDevice (Bool)
              If GrabEventDevice is true, the driver will grab the event device for exclusive use when using the linux 2.6 event  protocol.   When  using
              other  protocols,  this  option  has  no effect.  Grabbing the event device means that no other user space or kernel space program sees the
              touchpad events.  This is desirable if the X config file includes /dev/input/mice as an input device, but is undesirable  if  you  want  to
              monitor  the  device  from  user space.  When changing this parameter with the synclient program, the change will not take effect until the
              synaptics driver is disabled and reenabled.  This can be achieved by switching to a text console and then switching back to X.

To make use of them you just add an entry in the configuration section as we did above with Option "MaxTapMove" "10" and Option "SHMConfig" "on".
Examples of values for this configs can be found here: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Synaptics_Touchpad#Additional_Settings
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 07:41:06 am by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 08:02:57 pm »

Thanks rbistolfi

If someone nominates you for God, I will happily second the motion.

BTW though my vector 5.9 standard xorg.conf was virgin, there was no Synaptics section to which I could add the "two lines", so I copied you whole Synaptics section over, including the two lines. Someone might make a note of this before 6.0 standard is released. Works fine now.

John 

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 08:18:30 pm »

Nah I would be happy with just King of the Nordic Twilight Cheesy
Seriously? it worked?
I am thinking now you could play with MaxSpeed and MinSpeed options too. The synaptics driver is impressive you even can have that scrolling feature in the sides of the touchpad. Wow I can't believe it worked Smiley
You are very welcome John, I made my day here...

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 08:44:43 pm »

Now you can go show off your VectorLinux box to your friends Wink

Please edit this topic and place [Solved] in it, so that others with this issue can benefit. Thanks Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: