VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 08:53:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL's image to the masses / Ideas  (Read 10832 times)
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 07:09:54 am »

Actually, if you really think about it, the VL product line has not changed a whole lot for the 5.9 release

Users are used to STD and SOHO being free, while Deluxe being the paid version... well, now we have the Light and STD release available @ no charge, and SOHO being sold.... which makes me wonder.... would it make any difference if SOHO would have been renamed to Deluxe?

My point in a nutshell
We still have 2 releases available @ no charge, and one being sold... it's not that different to me.
On top of that, SOHO is being sold with extra software packs.... which indeed does make it equal to the previous "Deluxe" releases.

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 09:11:48 am »

, the developers are wasting their effort by trying to have a version for everyone: standard, soho, light, livecd, 64, etc.

I completely disagree.  Most of the more popular distros do this including ones with relatively small development teams that are highly rated on Distrowatch.  PCLinuxOS would be a great example.  TinyMe and MiniMe are their two light alternatives, for example.  Zenwalk has four versions and that number will soon grow to five with a GNOME release.  This is part of what makes a distro popular.  Going in the other direction would make VL less popular, not more.

VL64 is particularly critical.  I expect to buy a new laptop next month.  It will be 64-bit.  If VL doesn't continue with 64 bit development I know that I will have to look elsewhere and VL will be relegated to my legacy hardware.  Similarly, Light continues VL's 10 year long history of supporting older, legacy, and limited hardware.  With the growing popularity of Netbook/UMPC systmesm (i.e.: Asus EeePC, Acer Aspire One) I expect Light will be increasingly popular.  SOHO is and has been the flagship distro for some time.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 09:16:22 am »

Oh, I don't think *Deluxe* editions should be free.
I've been happy in the past paying for Standard Deluxe (and will probably keep on doing it). The 5.9 Std Deluxe came with a couple more themes or wallpapers, some new utilities, more packages in cd 1, and a 2nd cd. That's a great mix, and I liked to contribute.

What's bugging me is SOHO not being free. Arguably a lot of people use KDE, and don't want the hassle of starting with another environment and installing it themselves. Having SOHO being a paid version might turn those people off and actually *reduce* VL's exposure.

I'd say an effort should be made to make both Std and SOHO 6 reach a lot of people and that is easier if they're cost-free.
But the Deluxe editions could stay the way they were....
I understand that those sales might not give VL enough income, so new ideas are needed.

I wonder how the paid support is going?
Getting VL to businesses would be a great way of getting money, but I don't think VL is ready for that yet.
At least not without more (and faster) packagers and testers, more localization, more docs.

I agree with wcs on most of this, particularly his take on Deluxe vs. SOHO and free vs. paid.  I also agree with the last part, that VL is not ready for the business world.  The thing is, from a purely code perspective, it is awfully close and could be ready with VL6 if a serious effort is made in that direction.  I think that is far more important that Dweeberkitty's expanding lineup of extra discs if business is the goal.  OK, the server support disc is probably the exception here as it would be part of an Enterprise or Server version of VL.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 09:18:21 am by caitlyn » Logged

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 09:21:57 am »

Actually, if you really think about it, the VL product line has not changed a whole lot for the 5.9 release

Users are used to STD and SOHO being free, while Deluxe being the paid version... well, now we have the Light and STD release available @ no charge, and SOHO being sold.... which makes me wonder.... would it make any difference if SOHO would have been renamed to Deluxe?

My point in a nutshell
We still have 2 releases available @ no charge, and one being sold... it's not that different to me.
On top of that, SOHO is being sold with extra software packs.... which indeed does make it equal to the previous "Deluxe" releases.

In principle you are correct but that isn't the perception.  Part of the reason for that is the retention of the SOHO name.  There is a SOHO Deluxe but there isn't a SOHO that isn't deluxe any longer.    You're right that renaming SOHO to something else might have been helpful. 

It's an issue of marketing, something VL has never been very good at.  Of course I am a marketing idiot which is the main reason I went from trying to build a consulting business to taking a full-time position again.  I can see the mistake in hindsight but I'm the last person in the world who should be giving marketing advice.

badgrass

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 09:24:55 am »

push marketing to third world countries...like here in the philippines...we depend on relatively "old" hardware...linux is seems to be still unknown here even to computer geeks...and i think starting a linux craze with VL as the lead could be good
tripleRsystem

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 06:37:28 am »

Posted this thread for people to share "crazy ideas" and not order a plan of action for the future. The main question remains to everybody who is reading - "How can a distro's popularity be boosted, what are the things that make people eager to try it and then like it"  S

It seems that distro popularity depends three (not so) simple things:
1. must be visible on distrowatch by regular releases or betas
2. must be stable and easy to use - implies vision and committed developers - implies a company behind it to pay money
3. it needs community to support it

I guess Vector falls short for point 1. It also lacks some basic things like stable website and forum, bugtracker and, In my opinion, the developers are wasting their effort by trying to have a version for everyone: standard, soho, light, livecd, 64, etc.

Interesting article: "Which Linux Distributions Are Dying?"
http://codingexperiments.com/archives/149

It shows that Ubuntu might soon be synonymous for linux, however comments argue.

Thank you for the link.  This is a grand opportunity for VL to shape and sharpen its user friendly image.  This article tells me Linux users and those waiting to be convinced to become Linux users are ready for a more business like approach.   Brown distro is all about market share; VL can use the brown disto approach, and gain market share.  It's not good enough in todays dynamic market to wait for the customer to discover how good your product is, the customer base must be informed as to the worth of the product and how how much better off they will be when they use Vector Linux.       
waynev

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2008, 03:15:54 pm »

i think that Vector linux's main "fame indicator" is the all powerfull distrowatch hits ranking system,which is curently dropping to make way for other distros that got lots of publicity recently,eventhough they are new on the scene.

Careful blurymind using a word like "Publicity" may be seen as marketing, and we sure don't want that now do we Grin Grin
edwarben89

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2008, 11:03:01 am »

If we could instead attract devs and artists to VL, we could work on image.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: