VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 10:49:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The IMSLP Is Back. . . With Lawyers  (Read 3420 times)
gacl
Vectorite

« on: July 02, 2008, 02:36:14 pm »

One of my favorite sites of all time just came back online last Monday: The IMSLP (http://imslp.org/wiki/Main_Page). It went offline last October under the threat of lawsuit from Universal Edition. The Austrian publishing company claimed that the IMSLP was violating Austrian copyright laws, even if the IMSLP is based in Canada. In other words, they argued (quite forcefully) that a Canadian individual/group of individuals/company had to abide by the laws of Austria only because Austrians can access the site.

Now, this made me think:

Has VectorLinux ever been threated with claims like this?
Do you guys have a team of voracious lawyers just standing by?
I'm in the US, and VectorLinux is a Canadian project. In the US licensing fees prevent many Linux projects from "working out of the box", yet, i've been using VectorLinux almost exclusively for years. Does it mean that i'm violating the law?

Gus

“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 03:13:08 pm »

I'm in the US also, and *cough* don't know what the heck your talking about. Cheesy
*cough*

*cough, cough*
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 03:56:48 pm »

What i meant was that a. . . friend of mine has. . , eh, used, using, used VectorLinux for years. . . and. . . oops, got to go!

“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 04:25:28 pm »

I picked up three movies while shopping...the first broke when I attempted to get it out of the case..the second released fine but the center broke when I put it back in the case and the third cracked when I put it in the case..the music one sucked and the whole experience cost me 78 bucks..I decided to listen to the radio and forget it only to hear that some guy had his mp3 player taken away at the boarder because the songs on it were not writen and recorded by him..I thank you for the public domain link..since artists are always saying it's all about the music, maby some will put there money where their mouth is and give me some free tunes worth listening to..since buying it does not seem to be working. if not I have a guitar and vid cam and will entertain myself...natse buggers
cheers
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 04:28:29 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 05:19:05 pm »

A lot of the music I want to listen to can already be found on YouTube, spread around here and there. Practically speaking, I can find whole albums in some cases, but even when that isn't the case, sometimes I just want to rock out to several of the best songs by any given artist.

Another place that almost never fails—and I hope the thread doesn't get locked for this one—is Google Blog Search. I type in the artist name and album title and it usually comes up. If the album is obscure or somehow hard to search for, I'll put in a song title (double quoted) and hope for the best. Usually at least one link turns up.

Yes, I really should support the artists more. I should send my dad on vacation in France, too, but I can't do either until I make holler dollars. In the mean time, I'm going to enjoy music I like anyway.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 06:26:32 pm »

A lot of the music I want to listen to can already be found on YouTube

Yep. My first choice for listening to music right now is Seeqpod. If that doesn't work then i'll try GoEar, or imeem, or youtube, and so on, and so on. 99.9 % of the time i find what i'm looking for.

My problem with copyright laws is that they don't make any sense. 90 years after the death of the author? Why? Why not 97? Why not 9 years? How is _any_ number of years after the author's death going to be an incentive for that author to create more art?

Personally, i think that copyrights and patents should be abolished. Science and art will do fine without them. For example: Linux, Leonardo da Vinci, Bach, Shakespeare. . .

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 06:48:38 pm »

A lot of the music I want to listen to can already be found on YouTube

Yep. My first choice for listening to music right now is Seeqpod. If that doesn't work then i'll try GoEar, or imeem, or youtube, and so on, and so on. 99.9 % of the time i find what i'm looking for.

My problem with copyright laws is that they don't make any sense. 90 years after the death of the author? Why? Why not 97? Why not 9 years? How is _any_ number of years after the author's death going to be an incentive for that author to create more art?

Well, you have to take into account artists who join the foul legions of the restless dead. Like the mighty lich-lord Tupac Shakur.

Personally, i think that copyrights and patents should be abolished. Science and art will do fine without them. For example: Linux, Leonardo da Vinci, Bach, Shakespeare. . .

Copyright and patents (in the traditional sense) should still play some role. Not everyone enjoys the patronage of the de Medici family and, besides, it would be too hard to revoke the (US) Constitutional right to them. However, I agree that copyright/patents should last only as long as the creator lives, and maybe even less—several decades is probably long enough to profit from your ideas. Also, there should be an "I'm rich, bitch!" clause that revokes your right if you've already made a huge heap of cash and still pursue every petty little infringement, too focused on profit to make any more good art. (Not naming names)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 06:55:02 pm by Epic Fail Guy » Logged

gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 07:03:10 pm »

I'm glad that nowdays we have the GNU, Creative Commons, and the likes. With the public domain under attack at least people can fight back with non-commercial clauses on their work.

Let's suppose that in the future licenses with non-commercial clauses start to become the norm. What if companies start lobbying congress to _reduce_ the length of copyright terms because they couldn't use all the material they needed to do profitable business?

Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 09:54:01 pm »

Write a letter to your congressman Cheesy
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 10:24:42 pm »

Write a letter to your congressman

I've done that and, you know, when they know your opinions are not that of the majority they will either ignore you or. . . be honest with you! Heh, i don't think anybody i've voted for has ever won. I think i'll vote for Nader this year. He could win, right?

---

Oh, my bad. I never saw this:

Canada, the home of Vector Linux, has no equivalent to the DMCA so all the libraries and Win32 codecs are installed by default. Vector Linux is ready to play your mp3 files and DVDs right out of the (virtual) box. People in the United States will need to remove some packages after installation in order to comply with the law.

From: http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2008/03/taking_a_good_long_look_at_vec.html

If Canada wasn't so cold. . .

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 12:15:27 am »

Oh, my bad. I never saw this:

Canada, the home of Vector Linux, has no equivalent to the DMCA so all the libraries and Win32 codecs are installed by default. Vector Linux is ready to play your mp3 files and DVDs right out of the (virtual) box. People in the United States will need to remove some packages after installation in order to comply with the law.

From: http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2008/03/taking_a_good_long_look_at_vec.html

If Canada wasn't so cold. . .

It's great to know that I'm going to be a criminal under federal law by default, just because I want to watch a video with mplayer.

Since I don't savor the idea of having the 4chan Party Van parked in my driveway, I'm weighing my options atm. I have a broseph who convinced me that our Northern neighbor is the most viable so far. It's mostly Anglophone and if I do learn to speak frog I'll have more ... opportunities. Plus cretinism—I mean 'intelligent design'—is a non-issue.

You should know that it's been very hot in Toronto this summer. Personally, cold weather isn't a huge problem for me, but even then it isn't really as bad as it looks.

gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 07:03:24 am »

I'm torn between warm weather and high quality living standards. It seems that the farther away from the equator the higher the living standards (South Asia, North and Middle Africa, Central America and North South America =/= Japan, Europe (especially the north), North America).

---

By the way, the board has been getting really slow for me sometimes.

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 09:06:54 am »

I'm torn between warm weather and high quality living standards. It seems that the farther away from the equator the higher the living standards (South Asia, North and Middle Africa, Central America and North South America =/= Japan, Europe (especially the north), North America).

There are a lot of theories about weather vs. level of development—but I'm not entirely sure I buy any of them. The correspondence isn't strictly true btw—Central America, the Mediterranean, the Near and Middle East, South Asia, and China are all areas that were or are becoming relatively highly developed and have produced a lot of great ideas. Conversely, many Slavic countries do not enjoy a high standard of living. (For instance, Belarus SUCKS.)

But I'll admit that not being up to your ass in disease vectors and collapsing from heat stroke sure helps building large cities and whatnot.

btw, the board runs OK for me.

Will
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 10:04:23 am »

I like to blame Disney trying to use the current laws to keep mickey mouse out of pub domain rather than reform it so they can have their cake, but we're not constantly faced with zero new pub domain content.
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 07:54:26 am »

we're not constantly faced with zero new pub domain content.

That's true. But there won't be any works entering the public domain in the US unti 2019 unless the publisher forgot to add a copyright notice (pre-1978 works), if the copyright wasn't renewed (pre-1964), or if someone dedicates the work to the public domain (like Musopen). These are only exceptions to the rule, though. And, or course, when 2019 comes around, the publishing companies will once again use lobbists and campaign donations to further their monopoly on public property.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: